Myanmar's military junta reopened a national constitutional convention yesterday, warning its citizens of the dangers of ``external and internal elements'' trying to derail the meeting, which they called a key step toward democracy.
Amid light security, 1,074 delegates -- including politicians, leaders of ethnic groups, workers, businesspeople and government employees -- gathered at a convention center about 40 km north of the capital Yangon to resume work. The session is set to last as long as two months but is unlikely to produce a final draft.
Lieutenant General Thein Sein opened the convention yesterday by telling delegates that the drafting of a constitution "was of primary importance to the transition to democracy."
PHOTO: AFP
"There is no other way but to implement the seven-step roadmap to achieve a genuine, disciplined and flourishing democratic state," Thein Sein said. "External and internal elements are trying to derail the national convention process at a time when it is going smoothly and successfully. Beware of the dangers of subversionists."
Thein Sein did not mention any nation or any group by name. But the convention comes after the US -- which has imposed economic sanctions on Myanmar and called it an "outpost of tyranny" -- successfully lobbied the UN Security Council on Friday to hold a closed-door briefing on the country.
Critics say the convention is being stage managed by the junta to stay in power. They say it cannot reflect the desires of the people when the main opposition party, Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD), and other groups are not participating.
The NLD won a landslide victory in general elections in 1990 but the military refused to hand over power, saying the country first needed a new constitution. Suu Kyi has been under continuous detention for more than two years. Her house arrest was extended by six months last week, and she has been barred from the convention. Her party is boycotting the event.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying