Australia will not lobby against the death penalty in Southeast Asia but will continue to try to save its citizens from the gallows, Prime Minister John Howard said yesterday.
He was speaking as the body of executed drug trafficker Nguyen Tuong Van arrived in his Melbourne hometown from Singapore.
Nguyen, 25, was hanged on Friday despite a strident campaign to save his life.
"I think we have to be realistic about what can be achieved," Howard told national broadcaster ABC.
"We're not going to change the attitude of countries in the region about capital punishment. And when you talk about the region you have to include in that, of course, China," he added.
Howard said that he would resist calls to have capital punishment reintroduced in Australia and would lobby hard for citizens on death row overseas.
Two Australians in Vietnam and one in China face execution for drug offences.
In Indonesia nine Australians arrested in Bali over a heroin smuggling attempt could face death by firing squad if convicted.
Nguyen's lawyer, Lex Lasry, pledged to continue his campaign to have the death sentence scrapped around the region.
He said that Nguyen's death could become a "signpost to demonstrate the way young people who get into the situation that he was in can transform themselves."
He added: "His transformation over the last two years was unbelievable. It was inspiring, complete and quite magnificent."
Nguyen, who arrived in Melbourne as a Vietnamese refugee at the age of two, was caught with almost 400g of heroin at Changi airport three years ago while in transit from Cambodia to Australia.
Many Australians declared themselves happy that the convicted drug smuggler was dead.
His interdiction at Changi airport meant less heroin on Australia's streets and fewer potentially lethal overdoses, they say.
A Roy Morgan opinion poll conducted 24 hours before Nguyen's execution showed 47 percent of Australians were for it and 46 percent against, with the remainder undecided.
A Catholic mass and funeral will be held at Melbourne Cathedral on Wednesday.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying