An Indonesian militant was sentenced to death yesterday for helping plan and carry out last year's suicide bombing that killed 10 people at the Australian Embassy.
Iwan Darmawan, also known as Rois, said he would appeal the verdict -- the first time that the death sentence has been handed down on suspects convicted in the Sept. 9, 2004 attack.
It was the latest in a series of tough sentences against militants in the world's most populous Muslim nation, which has seen three bloody terror attacks on mostly Western targets in the last three years.
Around 20 of Darmawan's supporters shouted "God is Great" when the verdict was read out in South Jakarta District court.
"The defendant Iwan Darmawan alias Rois and his friends were seriously involved in the planning of the attack by buying explosives and assembling the bomb," Judge Rocki Panjaitan said.
Darmawan is the most senior of six people arrested in connection with the attack.
Three have already been sentenced to prison terms of between three and seven years, and prosecutors have asked for the death sentence for another man accused in the attack.
Police have blamed the attack on the regional terror group Jemaah Islamiyah, which is also linked to the 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people, mostly foreign tourists, and a 2003 blast at Jakarta's J.W. Marriott hotel that killed 12.
Panjaitan said Darmawan surveyed the heavily fortified mission three times before the truck bombing.
He repeated earlier police statements read out to the court that the funding for the attack "came from Osama bin Laden" and was carried out "to avenge the slaughter of Muslims by America and its allies in Iraq."
All of the victims of the bomb were Indonesians, mostly passers-by or security guards.
Three terrorists have been sentenced to death in the Bali blasts, and more than 30 others received prison terms ranging from three years to life.
RE-EDUCATION: The ambassador to Australia told reporters that he understood there ‘might be a process for the people in Taiwan to have a correct understanding of China’ China’s ambassador to Australia yesterday said that Beijing is prepared to use “all necessary means” to prevent Taiwan from being independent, saying there can be “no compromise” on its “one China” principle. Chinese Ambassador to Australia Xiao Qian (肖千) repeatedly told the National Press Club in Canberra that the US was to blame for the recent escalation in tensions, adding that China’s decision to launch ballistic missiles in live-fire exercises in response to US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan was “legitimate and justified.” Xiao said that after a “good start” with the new government of Australian Prime Minister
PROPAGANDA LEAFLETS: Seoul voiced ‘strong regret’ as Kim’s sister threatened to eradicate South Korean authorities for sending the virus across the border North Korean leader Kim Jong-un suffered from a “high fever” during a recent COVID-19 outbreak, his sister Kim Yo-jong said yesterday, as she vowed to “eradicate” South Korean authorities if they continued to tolerate propaganda leaflets the regime blames for spreading the virus. Kim Yo-jong blamed “South Korean puppets” for sending “dirty objects” across the border in leaflets carried by balloons, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported. The revelation of her brother’s illness marked an unusual admission for a regime that rarely comments on the leader’s health — and then only to show that he shares the struggles of
Newly married and with his first child on the way, auto worker Wang (王) wanted to move into the apartment he bought in Wuhan three years ago, but those hopes were dashed by China’s ballooning property crisis. Saddled with nearly US$300,000 in debt and with his unit nowhere near completion, the 34-year-old decided he had enough and stopped making mortgage payments. He is among numerous home buyers across dozens of cities in China who have boycotted payments over fears that their properties will not be completed by cash-strapped, debt-laden developers. “They said construction would resume soon,” Wang said, only giving his surname. “But
A landmark sexual harassment case in China yesterday returned to court after an earlier ruling dealt a blow to the country’s fledgling #MeToo movement. Zhou Xiaoxuan (周曉璇) stepped forward in 2018 to accuse state TV host Zhu Jun (朱軍) of forcibly kissing and groping her during her 2014 internship at the broadcaster. While the case of Zhou, now 29, inspired many others to share their experiences of sexual assault publicly and sparked a social media storm, a court ruled last year there was insufficient evidence to back her allegation. Zhou appealed, and returned to court for another hearing yesterday in Beijing. “I still feel