On a crooked lane in the Crimean capital the afternoon prayer in the Kebir mosque has just let out and a group of believers gathers beneath its lone minaret to say their presidential vote in Ukraine's weekend ballot will be a vote against Russia.
It is a heartfelt sentiment among Crimea's quarter of a million Tartars who make up 12 percent of the peninsula's population.
PHOTO: AP
More than 60 years have passed since the Soviet Red Army drove the entire Tartar population from Crimea at gunpoint on suspicion of collaborating with the Nazis during World War II and it has been more than a decade since Ukraine parted ways with Russia.
But the Tartars still regard Moscow's policies with deep distrust.
"Better dirty American democracy than Russian totalitarianism," said Muhamad Vilor Osmanov, a Tatar student in a local university who like many of his kin opposes the Russian-speaking, Moscow-backed presidential candidate Viktor Yanukovich.
Yanukovich, who has pledged closer ties to Russia and official status for the Russian language in Ukraine if he is elected, had Russian President Vladimir Putin's backing from the beginning of the campaign.
He has proved massively popular with the Russian-speaking populations elsewhere in eastern and southern Ukraine, but Crimea's Islamic residents do not share that enthusiasm for Moscow's man.
"If Yanukovich comes to power he will emulate Putin's regime. Look at the mess he made in Chechnya," Osmanov said of the Russian president.
The Tartars' relationship with the much larger Russian population of the Crimean peninsula has never been easy.
In 1944, more than 200,000 Crimean Tartars, descendants of the Mongol Golden Horde, were deported to Siberia and Central Asia.
And for centuries the Russian Empire fought bloody wars with the Tartars' ethnic cousins from Ottoman Turkey to retain control of this strategic Black Sea territory, which was only signed over to Ukraine in 1956 by the late Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev.
But the elections have pitted the two communities against each other anew ahead of a rerun presidential vote scheduled for Sunday.
The Tartars' modest tent camp in support of the Western-leaning Viktor Yushchenko -- modeled on the massive opposition tent city which sprang up in Kiev after a contested November ballot -- is overshadowed by masses of Yanukovich supporters who wave Russian flags and brandish banners reading "Forever with Russia."
Data from the last vote, which was declared invalid by Ukraine's top court due to massive fraud and ballot-rigging, point to a vote along ethnic lines with some 16 percent of the population voting for Yushchenko and 82 percent for Yanukovich.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying