At least six people including three paramilitary policemen -- were killed in separate rebel strikes in Baghdad on Thursday, as the resistance kept up their campaign to derail Iraq's upcoming general election.
Wednesday's launch of the campaign for the Jan. 30 vote for a 275-member National Assembly was marred by an explosion near one of Shia Islam's holiest shrines in the southern city of Karbala.
PHOTO: AFP
Attack
The attack in the heartland of Iraqi's majority Shiite population killed eight people and wounded 40, including a prominent cleric, Sheik Abdul Mahdi al-Karbalayee.
Local leaders said the attack was an attempt by militants to fuel a civil war between the Shiites and the minority Sunnis.
The start of campaigning was subdued due to security fears, with no media blitzes or rallies.
In the capital, unidentified gunmen on Thursday shot dead Qassim Mehawi, deputy head of the Communications Ministry as he was heading to work, police officials said.
Injured
Eight of Mehawi's bodyguards were injured in the attack and were taken to the hospital.
Government officials are frequent targets of the insurgents, who accuse them of collaborating with the Americans.
In the west of the capital, a roadside bomb exploded near a passing SUV, badly damaging the vehicle, police said.
Blast
After the blast, gunmen opened up on the survivors with automatic fire, killing two foreigners and wounding two others, Al-Khadra police commissioner Ali Hussein Al-Hamadani said.
There was no immediate information on their nationality.
Al-Hamadani said three Iraqi National Guardsmen died and six others were injured when another roadside bomb exploded in western Baghdad as their pickup truck was driving by.
And a US soldier was wounded when an Abrams main battle tank he was riding in struck a mine near Beiji, 250km north of Baghdad, a spokesman said Thursday.
Postponed
In the northern city of Kirkuk, several thousand Arab residents rallied Thursday in front of the governor's office to demand that the elections be postponed.
The protesters said they were worried that a campaign to return displaced Kurds to the city, where former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein's regime drove out many Kurds and replaced them with Arabs from other areas, would alter Kirkuk's ethnic mix.
The electoral campaign kicked off as a government official said that Saddam Hussein's notorious right-hand man, Ali Hassan al-Majid, also known as "Chemical Ali," will be the first among 12 former regime members to appear at an initial investigative court hearing next week.
Majid will be facing charges for crimes allegedly committed during Saddam's 35-year dictatorship.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying