The Cuban government has threatened the US diplomatic mission in Havana if it doesn't immediately take down Christmas decorations outside its offices, the top American diplomat on the island said on Tuesday.
The trimmings of Santa Claus, candy canes and white lights twirling down palm trees outside the oceanfront building don't appear to be the problem.
What is likely irking the Cuban authorities, US Interests Section Chief James Cason said, is a lit-up sign that says 75 -- a clear reference to 75 Cuban government opponents rounded up in a massive crackdown last year and sentenced up to 28 years in prison.
"Our intent, in the spirit of Christmas, was to call attention to the plight of these 75," Cason told reporters. "We're prepared to pay whatever price for the things we believe in."
Cason said officials from Cuba's foreign ministry, including the director of North American affairs, insisted the decorations be taken down in meetings on Saturday and Tuesday. The US Interest Section refused, and was told there would be consequences.
"They could expel us, they could continue to hinder our activities," Cason said. "We don't know what they're going to do."
"We'll find out shortly," he said.
US relations have been rocky with Cuba ever since President Fidel Castro launched a communist revolution in the country more than four decades ago.
Under the administration of US President George W. Bush, economic sanctions against the island have been tightened, and a blueprint for a democratic transition has been designed.
The government opponents imprisoned last year were accused of receiving money from US officials to undermine the island's system -- a charge the activists and the US government denies.
Since the crackdown in March of last year, 14 of the original 75 prisoners have been released for medical reasons.
Last Friday, Cason gathered dissidents as well as the relatives of political prisoners at his home to bury a time capsule with messages spelling out their dreams for a different kind of Cuba to mark International Human Rights day.
Despite the actions of the Cuban government, Cason said the US diplomatic mission will defend its activities -- and its choice of holiday ornamentation.
"Our position is that our Christmas decorations are up through Christmas," he said. "It's a matter of principle to us."
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying