The Irish Republican Army (IRA) must have its disarmament photographed for publication, Nor-thern Ireland's hard-line Protes-tant leader declared after another negotiating session with British Prime Minister Tony Blair.
"If you sin publicly, you have to repent publicly," said the Reverend Ian Paisley, emphasizing that the IRA must not conduct its disarmament activities in secret, as has happened three times previously in Northern Ireland's decade-old peace process.
Speaking outside Blair's Downing Street office after hourlong talks on Monday, the 78-year-old Paisley said he wasn't going to back any new peace deal unless it contained the IRA's full disarmament and disbandment.
Blair, who has spent seven years pursuing a lasting settlement for Northern Ireland, had been seeking firm approval Monday from Paisley for a proposed new peace package.
The deal, backed by Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern, would require the IRA to disarm fully and Paisley to forge a new coalition with Sinn Fein, the IRA-linked party.
In a potentially significant move, Sinn Fein announced on Monday night that its leader, Gerry Adams, has recommended to senior party activists in Belfast that they back the Anglo-Irish plans.
Sinn Fein said in a statement that Adams had "told the meeting that he believes that Sinn Fein can say yes to the political package as now presented."
Blair and Ahern -- who originally presented their plans to Sinn Fein and the Democratic Unionists last month, and have been refining them in consultation with both parties since -- tentatively planned to publish the finished product later this week in Belfast.
The plan requires support from both Sinn Fein, which is backed by most Catholics, and by the Democratic Unionists led by firebrand Paisley, who has spent the past four decades seeking to thwart compromise in Northern Ireland.
Paisley, whose party repre-sents most of the province's British Protestant majority, stressed he wasn't willing to say "yes" or "no" to anything until the IRA ceases to be a threat to Northern Ireland's stability.
Earlier Monday, Adams, a reputed IRA commander since the mid-1970s, said Paisley's demands -- which include publication of photographs of the process of IRA disarmament -- were threatening to torpedo any deal. He said the key question was whether Paisley would ever commit to power-sharing with Catholics.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying