Afghan and international forces laid a security ring around Kabul yesterday as dignitaries traveled from around the world for the inauguration of Hamid Karzai as Afghanistan's first popularly elected president.
In their biggest operation since the October election, which Karzai won in a landslide, police and troops cordoned off the route from the city's battle-scarred airport to the presidential palace, where the US-backed leader was to be sworn in today.
PHOTO: AP
Trucks and cars with license plates from beyond Kabul were turned away at the city limits. NATO armored vehicles mounted extra patrols, and US helicopters scoured the mountains that encircle the capital.
Karzai's installation will crown a three-year drive to stabilize Afghanistan since a US bombing campaign drove out the former ruling Taliban for harboring al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
Insurgents continue to harass US and Afghan forces across a broad swath of the south and east. US commanders say they expect to keep their force strength at about 18,000 at least until after parliamentary elections slated for the spring.
But Karzai has said the country's booming drug economy, which accounts for an estimated one-third of national income, is now a bigger threat, and will be the top priority of his fresh five-year term.
After rebels failed to make good on a threat to seriously disrupt the Oct. 9 vote, and US and Afghan officials offered many an amnesty, there is speculation that Taliban-linked figures may resurface in the new government.
However, officials remain on guard against what US commanders describe as a "strategic surprise" in the shape of a spectacular attack by militant die-hards or al-Qaeda cells on today's ceremony. Kabul has seen four deadly suicide attacks this year.
Nerves will be particularly taut because of the expected presence of a US delegation led by Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying