A leading Kashmiri separatist yesterday welcomed comments by India's home minister that New Delhi would allow separatists to visit Pakistan, saying it would "push the peace process forward."
"I welcome the statement," Mirwaiz Umar Farooq told reporters in Srinagar, the summer capital of Indian-administered Kashmir. Home Minister Shivraj Patil said at the start of a three-day tour of the troubled region on Saturday that there were no restrictions on anyone travelling to Pakistan.
"If they [separatists] inquire ... through proper methods, we will look into it. There should not be any problem," he said in a departure from previous positions where pleas by separatists for permission to visit Pakistan have been ignored.
"If New Delhi allows us to visit Pakistan ahead of the third round of talks, it will push the peace process forward," said Farooq.
His moderate faction of the region's main separatist alliance, the All Parties Hurriyat Conference, held two rounds of talks with former Indian deputy prime minister Lal Krishna Advani earlier this year. Farooq, however, has ruled out talks with India's left-backed Congress government which was elected in May, until separatists are allowed to visit Pakistan.
"We have held two rounds of talks with New Delhi. Now there is a need to talk to the Pakistanis as they are also a party to the dispute," said Farooq, who is also a Muslim cleric.
Farooq and other moderates want to discuss the "road map" they have prepared for solving the Kashmir tangle with Pakistani leaders and Kashmiri militant leaders based in Pakistan-administered Kashmir.
Only Farooq has a passport; other separatists have either been denied travel documents or have had them impounded by the Indian authorities.
They are now likely to apply for fresh documents, a separatist source said. Patil was expected yesterday to visit the Line of Control -- the de facto border that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
The Indian army has almost completed fencing a 460km stretch of the Line of Control to prevent the infiltration of Islamic militants from across the Pakistani side of the divide.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout