The Philippines said it would begin pulling troops out of Iraq yesterday to save the life of a Filipino hostage despite calls by the US and other allies not to bow to the demands of the kidnappers.
Diplomats in Baghdad said a headless corpse found in the Tigris River was probably that of a Bulgarian hostage killed by militants linked to al-Qaeda ally Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi. Hopes of finding a second Bulgarian alive were fading, they said.
Philippine Foreign Affairs Sec-retary Delia Albert said all of Manila's small force in Iraq would leave soon.
PHOTO: REUTERS
"The Philippine government has recalled the head of the Philippine humanitarian contingent in Iraq. He is leaving Iraq today with 10 members of the Philippine humanitarian contingent," Albert said. The rest would follow shortly.
In Baghdad, a source said the 10 soldiers and their commander had left the Philippine embassy in Baghdad early yesterday for Hilla in south-central Iraq, where the contingent is based.
On Thursday, Iraqi interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi urged Manila to hold firm as he announced the formation of a domestic spy agency to "annihilate" the insurgents launching almost daily attacks on security forces and engaging in a spate of kidnappings.
Washington had tried to persuade its Asian ally not to cave in to militants who have threatened to kill Filipino truck driver Angelo de la Cruz. Some analysts said the move would severely strain Manila's relations with Washington.
The US insisted on Thursday that its coalition in Iraq remained strong despite the Philippine decision to follow Spain, the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua and Honduras in pulling out.
Australian Prime Minister John Howard criticized Manila.
"I don't want to be harsh on a friend but ... it's a mistake and it won't buy them immunity," he told Australian radio.
De la Cruz told his family in a videotaped message he would be returning home, Arabic channel al Jazeera said on Thursday.
But the group holding him said it would only free him after Manila withdrew its last soldier.
The last of Thailand's troops will be out of Iraq by Sept. 20, marking the end of a controversial year-long mission, the country's defence minister said yesterday.
"We have started withdrawal procedures ... and I expect our last soldier would arrive home on Sept. 20," General Chettha Thanajaro told reporters here.
Thailand sent a 451-strong contingent of troops to Iraq for a purely humanitarian mission and the one-year deployment had been due to end in late September.
Bulgaria watched a deadline for the execution of a second Bulgarian hostage held by militants pass without news on Wednesday but refused to pull out its troops.
The headless body pulled out of the Tigris south of the city of Mosul on Wednesday night was wearing an orange jumpsuit, similar to those in which several hostages have been dressed in guerrilla videotapes.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told