After three and a half years of insisting that the press respect their privacy, President George W. Bush's twin daughters made their media debut on Tuesday, adorned in Harry Winston jewelry and dressed in Oscar de la Renta and Calvin Klein ball gowns for full-page photographs and a joint interview in Vogue.
The pictures by the fashion photographer Patrick Demarchelier and the interview by Julia Reed, in which first lady Laura Bush tells the 22-year-old twins that they look like "cupcakes" in their dresses, coincide with the first tentative appearances by the president's daughters on the campaign trail.
On Tuesday, Barbara Bush, who graduated from Yale this year, appeared arm-in-arm with her father as the two walked toward Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House for a political trip to Michigan and Minnesota. Jenna Bush, who graduated from the University of Texas this year, was with her father on a campaign bus trip in Pennsylvania on Friday, and is to introduce her mother on Wednesday at two fund-raisers, both closed to the press, in Alabama and Georgia.
"They're sort of nervously out there," Laura Bush told reporters in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, on Friday. "They wrote an introduction for their dad, but they didn't think they could give it yet."
In the Vogue interview, conducted in a New York hotel room on Mother's Day, the daughters present a picture of themselves in striking contrast to the image of fun-loving twins known for partying and underage drinking in Texas. Barbara Bush said that after the election she plans to sign up for a program to work with children with AIDS in Eastern Europe and Africa; Jenna Bush said she plans to teach at a charter school.
Jenna Bush also says that she and her sister made the decision to campaign for their father.
"It's not like he called me up and asked me," Jenna Bush is quoted in the magazine as saying. "They've never wanted to throw us into that world, and I think our decision probably shocked them. But I love my dad, and I think I'd regret it if I didn't do this."
The president, who was interviewed for the article, is quoted as saying that "the thing I'm most excited about is that I get to spend the last campaign of my life with two girls I love."
The article, which is light on politics and heavy on fashion, also reveals that the president is an avid teaser of his daughters' boyfriends.
"He's not the shotgun-dad type, he's the joking-around-to-the-point-where-he-scares-the-heck-out-of-them-type," Jenna Bush is quoted as saying.
Gordon Johndroe, the first lady's press secretary, said on Tuesday that the twins were longtime readers of Vogue, the nation's leading fashion magazine, with a circulation of 1.2 million, and that they were "honored and flattered" that the magazine wanted to photograph them.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told