An alleged corruption scandal in Iraq's finance ministry was behind the dramatic raid on the Baghdad home of Ahmad Chalabi, the leader of the Iraqi National Congress (INC), coalition officials said Friday.
Iraqi police and US troops who early on Thursday burst into his villa, as well as the INC headquarters nearby, seized items including computers and documents.
Chalabi, a prominent member of the US-appointed governing council, says the raid was a reprisal for his growing criticisms of the US role in Iraq.
Yesterday coalition officials suggested instead that senior members of Chalabi's INC -- a US-funded group that opposed former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein -- were involved in a scam earlier this year when cash went missing from the finance ministry.
The money apparently vanished when the old currency was replaced by new banknotes. The finance ministry found that money given out by banks during the changeover exceeded cash handed in, by the equivalent of about US$21.5 million. In many cases, counterfeit old dinars had been exchanged for genuine new ones.
Iraqi police initially arrested more than a dozen bank tellers, who were accused of fraud.
But in March, Sabah Nouri, a leading member of the INC and the head of the ministry's bank audit, was arrested. He has been in jail ever since, and coalition officials insist that the raid on Chalabi's villa was directly connected with the continuing investigation.
US officials say the Iraqi police were looking for 15 people in connection with "fraud, kidnapping, and associated matters," though they do not include Chalabi.
The kidnapping allegation is thought to relate to the detention of the bank tellers.
Coalition sources recently said Chalabi had insisted on having the old currency incinerated, rather than buried as originally planned -- with the incineration contract going to one of his associates. There have been claims that not all the money was destroyed.
This week the Pentagon announced it was ending monthly payments of US$40,000 to the INC for supplying intelligence. The organization has received a total of about US$33 million from the state department and US$6 million from the defense intelligence agency.
Last night members of the governing council held an emergency meeting and condemned Thursday's raid as a "violation."
"This is largely between the INC and America. But this is a violation of the governing council's rules," a council member, Mahmoud Othman, said.
"He is a member of the council. They should have told us about it. It isn't good," Othman said.
Asked why Chalabi and the US had fallen out, he said: "Lots of people including myself have been criticizing the US. The difference is that I haven't had any money from them."
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told