Japan's Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi marked his third anniversary in office yesterday boosted by firm public support and a clean sweep for his ruling party in weekend by-elections.
"My policy of `no reform, no recovery' does not waver," Koizumi said in parliament after his Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) won all three seats contested in Sunday's ballots in the run-up to national polls in July.
"I am now convinced my reform policy was right," he said, arguing curbs on fiscal spending by the government had led to signs of emerging recovery by the Japanese economy.
PHOTO: APN
"I want to make these bright signs spread to regional cities and smaller companies [from major cities and giant corporations] by stepping up reforms," he said.
A weekend telephone poll of 1,000 adults by the TV Tokyo private network revealed strong support for Koizumi among voters.
About 53 percent of those questioned backed the premier, down from the sky-high 81 percent immediately after he took office but up from 45 percent after his first year in office.
Analysts have said the Koizumi administration escaped political disaster when five Japanese civilians taken hostage in Iraq this month were released unharmed.
Koizumi had refused the demands of Iraqi militants who had threatened to kill three of the hostages unless Tokyo withdrew its 550 soldiers in Iraq.
Although two of the three by-elections had been expected to be close, the LDP was spared a voter backlash either for sending troops to Iraq or for an ongoing battle over pension reform.
Instead the conservative party dealt a blow to the main opposition Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ) by holding onto all three seats in what were effectively two-way contests.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yasuo Fukuda told reporters that "the results were very good for the ruling coalition."
In the Saitama constituency, just north of Tokyo, a first-time LDP candidate won with 45 percent of the votes cast, defeating a career politician from the DPJ by a margin of 5 percent.
The Saitama seat was considered the left-of-center opposition's best chance to draw blood as it had been vacated by an LDP lawmaker who stepped down in January following a vote-buying scandal last year.
In Hiroshima, western Japan, the ruling party was returned with 51 percent of the votes, while in Kagoshima, southern Japan, always a safe bet as an LDP stronghold, the ruling party cruised to victory with an 83 percent majority.
Voting was marked by record-low turnout in all three constituencies, at around 55 percent for Hiroshima and Kagoshima and 35 percent for Saitama.
The by-elections came just three months before July's nationwide poll for half the seats in the upper house.
Shigenori Okazaki, political analyst at UBS Securities Japan, said the clean sweep, helped by low turnout and votes mobilized by coalition partner New Komei party backed by lay Buddhists, augured well for the ruling party in the July polls.
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying