Sudan's army has captured a town from rebels in the western region of Darfur and seven other rebel camps in the area, state radio reported on Friday.
The radio quoted an army statement issued on Thursday as saying government forces had driven rebels out of the town of Tine, which straddles Sudan's unmarked border with Chad.
Fighting between government troops and rebels who accuse Khartoum of marginalizing the arid region has escalated in the last month, forcing thousands of refugees to flee across the border.
The UN refugee agency appealed for funds to help move 135,000 refugees to safer places further into Chad.
"We are in a race against time to relocate refugees from the volatile border area to safer sites further inside Chad," Kris Janoswki, spokesman of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), told a briefing.
Rebels say Sudanese warplanes have been bombing 15 to 25 villages a day.
Journalists on Monday saw a Sudanese government warplane bomb a house in the Sudanese part of Tine, which was mainly deserted apart from a couple of rebels.
The army statement also said government forces had "recaptured and secured" seven rebel camps in Darfur, including Abu Gamra and Kornoi, both in northern Darfur state. The army said Kornoi was the biggest rebel base.
It did not say when Tine and the bases had been captured.
The western rebels began their uprising last February and fighting intensified after peace talks between the government and one rebel group, the Sudan Liberation Movement/Army, broke down in December.
A Geneva-based peace group, the Henry Dunant Centre, said on Friday three rebel groups in western Sudan had agreed to talks in Geneva next month and it hoped the government would also take part.
Aid workers and local residents said a Sudanese warplane attacking the rebels had bombed the Chadian side of the border on Thursday, killing two people and injuring 15 others.
The World Food Programme (WFP), another UN agency, said it was racing to deliver food to refugees in the area.
"All the ingredients for a humanitarian crisis are there -- difficult access, not enough food or water, and nightmare logistics," WFP spokeswoman Christiane Berthiaume said.
FOX HUNT: To suppress dissent, Chinese living abroad that Xi Jinping sees as threats are told to either return to China or commit suicide, Christopher Wray said Chinese agents have been pursuing hundreds of Chinese nationals living in the US in an effort to force their return, as part of a global campaign against the country’s diaspora, known as Operation Fox Hunt, FBI Director Christopher Wray said on Tuesday. In a speech about the security threat posed by China, during which he said Beijing’s counterintelligence work was the “greatest long-term threat to our nation’s information and intellectual property, and to our economic vitality,” Wray gave the example of one Fox Hunt target who was given a choice of going back to China or killing themselves. Fox Hunt was launched
‘WOULD NOT COMPLY’: The company’s user data are kept in Singapore and it would not turn the data over to Beijing even if asked, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said Social media app TikTok has distanced itself from Beijing after India banned 59 Chinese apps in the country, according to a correspondence seen by Reuters. In a letter to the Indian government dated on Sunday last week and seen by Reuters on Friday, TikTok chief executive Kevin Mayer said the Chinese government has never requested user data, nor would the company turn it over if asked. TikTok, which is not available in China, is owned by China’s ByteDance, but has sought to distance itself from its Chinese roots to appeal to a global audience. Along with 58 other Chinese apps, including Tencent
INTERNET CURBS: People are rushing to erase their digital footprints after police given powers over online activity, although it might take years for the full effect to be felt At midnight on Tuesday, the Great Firewall of China, the vast apparatus that limits the country’s Internet, appeared to descend on Hong Kong. Unveiling expanded police powers as part of contentious new national security legislation, the Hong Kong government enabled police to censor online speech, and force Internet service providers to hand over user information and shut down platforms. Many residents, already anxious since the legislation took effect last week, rushed to erase their digital footprint of any signs of dissent or support for the past year of protests. Hong Kong Legislator Charles Mok (莫乃光), a pro-democracy member of the Legislative
‘FIGHT FOR FREEDOM’: Hong Kongers will never bow to Beijing, the advocate said, while the US’ envoy to the territory called China’s new security law a ‘tragedy’ The world must stand in solidarity with Hong Kongers after Beijing imposed sweeping national security legislation on the semi-autonomous territory, advocate Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) said yesterday, vowing to continue campaigning for democracy. Wong, one of the territory’s most prominent young advocates and a figure loathed by Beijing, was speaking outside a court where he and fellow advocates are being prosecuted for involvement in last year’s pro-democracy protests. China last week enacted sweeping security legislation for the restless territory, banning acts of subversion, secession, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces. The legislation has sent a wave of fear through the territory, and criminalized dissenting