Two members of a US delegation were due to brief South Korean officials yesterday about their surprise tour of a nuclear complex in North Korea that is believed to be capable of making weapons.
John Lewis, a professor emeritus at Stanford University, and other experts were the first outsiders allowed into North Korea's Yongbyon facilities since UN inspectors were expelled a year ago.
Two members of the unofficial US delegation, Keith Luse and Frank Jannuzi, both Senate foreign relations committee aides, flew into Seoul on Sunday, but they declined to comment on their visit to Yongbyon.
They were scheduled to meet officials from South Korea's foreign ministry and unification ministry yesterday to brief them on their five-day visit to North Korea.
The US suspects North Korea may have resumed reprocessing spent nuclear fuel rods into plutonium for use in nuclear weapons and has been trying, along with its allies, to resume six-way talks with North Korea to end the nuclear row.
North Korea said on Saturday it had shown a visiting US delegation its "nuclear deterrent" and hoped it would provide a basis for a peaceful settlement of the row with the US over its nuclear activities.
The six parties -- the two Koreas, the US, China, Japan and Russia -- met inconclusively in Beijing in August.
Japan's Nihon Keizai Shimbun quoted State Councillor Tang Jiaxuan (
Tang, a former Chinese foreign minister, told a delegation of senior Japanese ruling party officials, the talks looked likely next month because North Korea and the US appeared to be getting closer to overcoming their differences.
North Korea's state media marked the first anniversary of its withdrawal from the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty with a commentary on Sunday blaming the US for ignoring Pyongyang's overtures for a resolution of the crisis.
"The world is now watching whether the US has a true will to settle the nuclear issue on the Korean peninsula on the principle of simultaneous actions and peaceful co-existence," the North's mouthpiece, news agency KCNA, reported on Sunday.
US Secretary of State Colin Powell told Japan's NHK national television in an interview that aired on Sunday Washington was committed to the next round of talks and he was confident it would be held in the "not-too-far future."
Last week, North Korea offered to freeze its nuclear activities in a move that has raised hopes for a fresh round of talks.
The US said in October 2002 North Korea had admitted to a clandestine uranium enrichment program to build nuclear weapons, which US officials say violated a 1994 agreement by the North to freeze its nuclear program.
The Bolivian government on Friday struck a deal with protesting miners, but was still grappling with blockades and demonstrations by other workers across La Paz. Other groups are still blocking access roads into the city, which is also the seat of the government. Police on Thursday prevented the miners from entering the main square by using tear gas, while the demonstrators hurled stones and explosives with slingshots. Protests against the policies of Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz have convulsed the Andean nation since early this month, and roadblocks were choking routes into La Paz throughout Friday, the national road authority said. Miners demanded that Paz
The Philippines said it has asked the country’s Supreme Court to allow it to arrest former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s chief drug war enforcer to stand trial in an international tribunal. The International Criminal Court (ICC) last week unsealed an arrest warrant against Philippine Senator Ronald dela Rosa, accusing him along with Duterte and other “coperpetrators” of the “crime against humanity of murder.” Dela Rosa briefly sought refuge in the Philippine Senate last week while asking the Philippine Supreme Court to stop an ongoing attempt by government agents to arrest him. “By his own conduct, he has placed himself outside the protection of
A ship anchored off the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was seized and taken toward Iran and another — a cargo ship near Oman — sank after being attacked, authorities said on Thursday, as tensions escalated near the Strait of Hormuz. It was not immediately clear who was behind these incidents, but they happened as a senior Iranian official reiterated his country’s claim of control over the waterway and another said it had a right to seize oil tankers connected to the US. The turmoil in the strait has been a sticking point for weeks in talks between the US and Iran to
Crowds in Bangladesh are flocking to snap photographs with an unlikely social media star — an albino buffalo with flowing blond hair nicknamed “Donald Trump” that is due to be sacrificed within days. Owner Zia Uddin Mridha, 38, said his brother named the 700kg bull over its flowing helmet of hair resembling the signature look of the US president. “My younger brother picked this name because of the buffalo’s extraordinary hair,” he said at his farm in Narayanganj, just outside the capital, Dhaka. Mridha said that a constant stream of curious visitors — social media fans, onlookers and children — have come throughout