President Bashar Assad asserted the first Israeli airstrike deep inside Syria in 30 years will enhance his country's political standing in the region.
But analysts say Assad is seeking a face-saving exit to play down the crisis and avoid criticism at home that his army of more than 300,000 is unable to retaliate for the attack on a Palestinian camp near Damascus.
"After all these years of rhetoric, about being tough against Israel, how do you sell it to the Syrian people that Israel attacks and Syria does nothing?" said Jeremy Binnie, Middle East editor for Jane's Sentinel Security Assessments magazine in London.
In his first public comments since Sunday's attack by Israeli fighter-bombers, Assad insisted on Tuesday in an interview with Al Hayat newspaper that the bombing hasn't diminished Syria politically.
"There is no doubt that the role Syria plays in the various issues in our region is painful to this [Israeli] government. What happened was a failed Israeli attempt to undercut this role," Assad told the London-based paper.
"We can, with full confidence, say that what happened will only make Syria's role more effective and influential in events in the region -- contrary to what this government wants," he added.
The airstrike hit what Israel maintained was a training camp for Islamic Jihad militants about 25km from Damascus. Villagers said the camp belonged to Palestinian militants but had been abandoned years ago.
The attack came in response to a suicide bombing Saturday in Israel that killed at least 19 people. The Palestinian militant group Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attack.
Syria presented a motion to the UN Security Council, calling on the world body to condemn Israel, but the council postponed a vote. The US has warned it would veto any motion that did not also condemn the suicide bombing.
Assad suggested his country will not directly retaliate for the attack and accused Israel of trying to provoke a wider conflict.
"Israel's attack on Syria is an attempt by the Israeli government to extract itself from the big dilemma it's facing through its attempt to terrorize Syria and also drag Syria and the region into other wars," Assad told the paper.
"This [Israeli] government is a war government and the justification for its existence is war," he said.
Sunday's strike was the first Israeli attack deep into Syria since the 1973 war. In 1985, two Israeli warplanes patrolling over Lebanon chased two Syrian jets into Syrian airspace and shot them down.
Even if Syria were to choose a military response for Sunday's attack, it couldn't match Israeli power.
According to The Military Balance, Syria has 319,000 active servicemen, including about 215,000 in the army. It estimates Syria's reserves at 354,000.
The report says Israel has 161,500 active servicemen, including 120,000 in the army. It estimates Israel's reserves at 425,000, including some who are recalled for specific operations.
However, Mark Stalker, an official at the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies, which puts out the book, said the Israeli army has far more modern equipment and better training than Syria's.
He said Syria is still relying heavily on old former Soviet army equipment that it lacks the money to replace.
Assad, 38, suggested Syria had other means to respond to the strike.
"We are not a superpower, but we are not a weak state either. We're not a country without cards. We are not a state that can be ignored in the issues under discussion," Assad told Al Hayat.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told