A former prime minister says women who don't have children shouldn't get pensions. A senior ruling party lawmaker suggests gang rapists are more "normal" than men too shy to propose marriage. Even the Cabinet's top spokesman pipes up -- saying women who dress provocatively invite rape.
And that was just in the past week.
Though the flippant remarks were followed by quick apologies or denials, they've been a big embarrassment for Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, who has -- perhaps more than any Japanese leader -- appointed women to high-profile Cabinet positions, including the foreign and justice minister spots.
The gaffes have also renewed an outcry from activists over what many see as a lingering, and often quietly accepted, undercurrent of discrimination against women in Japan.
"They are speaking their true thoughts and they are forgiven," said Aiko Ogoshi, a professor at Kinki University and an expert on women in society.
"There still is a bit of that lax attitude that forgives this kind of thing," she said.
The current fracas erupted after a panel discussion last week in which former prime minister Yoshiro Mori and other senior political leaders debated how Japan should deal with its falling birth rate.
Mori, Koizumi's mentor and predecessor, said women who don't have babies shouldn't be allowed to claim pensions.
"Welfare is supposed to take care of and reward those women who have lots of children," Mori said. "It is truly strange to say we have to use tax money to take care of women who don't even give birth once, who grow old living their lives selfishly and singing the praises of freedom."
The debate's moderator asked Seiichi Ota, a ruling Liberal Democratic Party lawmaker and former Cabinet minister, if he thought some men might choose rape because they were afraid to propose. He was referring to a gang rape allegedly committed by university students and has recently been in the news.
"At least gang rapists are still vigorous," Ota replied. "Isn't that at least a little closer to normal?"
The audience, and Seiko Hashimoto, a female lawmaker participating in the discussion, erupted in laughter.
"I'll get in trouble for saying this," Ota chuckled.
He was right. The next day he was slammed in the early morning newspapers and on TV news programs.
But the gaffes didn't stop there.
The government's top spokesman and a key Koizumi lieutenant, Yasuo Fukuda, swiftly condemned Ota's comments. But days later, the weekly magazine Shukan Bunshun reported that Fukuda told reporters at an off-the-record briefing that the real culprits in gang rape were the women.
"The problem is that there are lots of women dressed provocatively," he reportedly said.
Fukuda -- who is also the minister in charge gender equality -- denied the comment and said: "I meant something completely different."
Women voters weren't convinced.
"We elected such people and it is an embarrassment they are our representatives," said Michiko Matsuzawa, a 41-year-old Tokyo office worker. "I can't believe they remain in office."
A group of female parliamentarians on Friday sent Fukuda's office a letter demanding a full explanation and saying the remarks by Ota and Mori "trample on" their efforts to establish gender equality.
In a protest lodged earlier, the opposition Socialist Democratic Party said Mori's remarks reminded them of Japan's former militarist government, which urged women to have many children to build a stronger country.
"Back then, women were no more than tools for giving birth," the party said.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding
‘DELIBERATE PROVOCATION’: Pyongyang said that Seoul had used a machine gun to fire at North Korean troops who were working to permanently seal the southern border South Korea fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers that briefly crossed the heavily fortified border earlier this week, Seoul said yesterday after Pyongyang accused it of risking “uncontrollable” tensions. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has sought warmer ties with the nuclear-armed North and vowed to build “military trust,” but Pyongyang has said it has no interest in improving relations with Seoul. Seoul’s military said several North Korean soldiers crossed the border on Tuesday while working in the heavily mined demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. The incursion prompted “our military to fire warning shots,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff