An accident at a model aircraft world championship at Lungpan Park in Kenting (墾丁) yesterday claimed the life of a woman carrying her son.
The accident at the F3F Radio Control Soaring (Slope) World Cup in Pingtung County was the first death for the sport in Taiwan since it was introduced here. The child was not severely injured, having been nicked in the neck.
Veteran participants of the sport said that the radio-controlled glider could have been blown off-course by a momentary strong gust of wind, adding that such an accident is rarely seen.
The glider belonged to the US team participating in the event.
The 2kg glider collided with the woman 500m away from the competition grounds when she was walking with her child along a wooded path.
“She did not go to see the competition. She just wanted to take a stroll in the park,” a member of the woman’s family said.
Lungpan Park is considered the best ground for the sport, although there are other grounds in Keelung City, Taitung County, Miaoli County’s Houlong Township (後龍), Taichung’s Tiezhenshan (鐵砧山) and Penghu County.
World record holder Lin Kuo-ping (林國平) made his record flight of 24.58 seconds at Lungpan Park in 2013.
Wind at the park tends to bring high-density air sloping downward, and the park’s geography generates a great upward draft, making it an excellent ground for the sport.
People should avoid eating too many zongzi (粽子, glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves), as consuming several in one meal could cause indigestion, bloating, gastric acid reflux, heartburn and other stomach ailments, a doctor said on Saturday. Zongzi is a traditional delicacy for the Dragon Boat Festival, which was on Thursday. Citing a recent case as an example, Cathay General Hospital gastroenterology department head Chu Yu-ming (朱淯銘) said that a 58-year-old taxi driver surnamed Hsiao (蕭) ate meals at irregular hours due to his work and has been taking diabetes medicine for three years. Hsiao recently bought a bag of zongzi and ate
A Taipei veterinarian is urging pet owners to avoid using insecticides around their homes, as their ingredients can be toxic to pets. Commercial-grade insecticides contain pyrethroids — organic compounds similar to natural pyrethrins, pesticides produced by flowers such as chrysanthemums — in quantities that are harmless to humans, but potentially fatal to cats and dogs, Asian Veterinary Specialist Referral Center veterinarian Chua Man-ling (蔡曼琳) said. Even in small quantities, pyrethroids are hazardous to cats, as they lack the metabolic enzymes needed to process them, Chua said. Cockroach sprays and ant traps are especially dangerous to pets as they contain boric acid, she
While stereotypically considered a household pest that simply will not die, Hung Ting-yang’s (洪鼎揚) experience with Archimandrita tesselata, commonly called the peppered roach, might change a person’s mind. The peppered roach originates in South America, is omnivorous and, as it is capable of growing to 7cm to 9cm long, is a giant compared with other roaches, which have an average length of about 4cm. The peppered roach goes through six separate chrysalis stages and takes nine months to reach full maturity. Mature roaches have wings, but cannot fly and can only glide. They have an average lifespan of three years. As his
The EU’s list of safe nations to which it would reopen borders next week does not include Taiwan, but the Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday said the list has not been finalized and some EU countries have highlighted the importance of “reciprocity.” The provisional list comprises Algeria, Andorra, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, San Marino, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay and the Vatican, the New York Times reported on Friday. The EU said it would add China, considered one of the “acceptable countries,” if it also opens its borders to EU travelers, the newspaper reported. Backed by