National Tsing Hua University yesterday unveiled a program that uses artificial intelligence to predict the outcome of child custody cases, which the university said was more than 90 percent accurate.
The system was developed by a team headed by National Center for Theoretical Sciences physics professor Wang Daw-wei (王道維) and Lin Yun-hsien (林昀嫺), a professor in the university’s Institute for Law and Science.
The program was fed 2,000 rulings from 2015 to 2017 to serve as a database and model for judges’ decisionmaking patterns, Wang said.
Photo: Hung Mei-hsiu, Taipei Times
As custody battles are usually acrimonious and bitter, a legal resolution is not necessarily the best way, Lin said.
The program could reduce courts’ workload by allowing both parties to understand the possible results of a legal case, she said, adding that this could result in fewer court cases and waste of social resources, while increasing the number of out-of-court settlements.
A number of countries have started using AI, although it is still restricted to the analysis of potential for recividism or settling credit card disputes, Wang said.
Eventually, the program could be expanded into other legal areas, he said.
The Civil Code’s regulations on who should get custody based on the child’s best interests cite instances that are not easily defined, such as the willingness of the child to stay with the parent; the finances and vocation of the parent and how they interact with the child, Wang said.
Using the program is easy, such as ticking off certain boxes on a list or narrating the situation to the computer, Wang said.
The computer would then provide projections of the ruling, Wang said.
For example, Jane, worried that she would not obtain custody of her child if she filed for a divorce with John, who is having an extramarital affair, could tell the program that she is the primary caretaker and can provide a stable and positive life for the child while also saying that John has a stable job that could help provide for Jane and the child.
The program would provide an estimate within seconds; in this case, Jane would have a 72 percent chance of getting custody, John a 13 percent chance and joint custody a 15 percent chance, Wang said.
The program uses a technology whose patent is pending, said Lee Ya-lun (李亞倫), the team’s data science analyst, adding that it has adopted an artificial neural network to boost efficiency.
The team said it would be holding discussions with legal experts, practicing lawyers, judicial personnel and social welfare workers to obtain more data, to help them present a more rounded program with subroutines and ancillary measures that could be customized to an individual’s needs.
A Taipei veterinarian is urging pet owners to avoid using insecticides around their homes, as their ingredients can be toxic to pets. Commercial-grade insecticides contain pyrethroids — organic compounds similar to natural pyrethrins, pesticides produced by flowers such as chrysanthemums — in quantities that are harmless to humans, but potentially fatal to cats and dogs, Asian Veterinary Specialist Referral Center veterinarian Chua Man-ling (蔡曼琳) said. Even in small quantities, pyrethroids are hazardous to cats, as they lack the metabolic enzymes needed to process them, Chua said. Cockroach sprays and ant traps are especially dangerous to pets as they contain boric acid, she
People should avoid eating too many zongzi (粽子, glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves), as consuming several in one meal could cause indigestion, bloating, gastric acid reflux, heartburn and other stomach ailments, a doctor said on Saturday. Zongzi is a traditional delicacy for the Dragon Boat Festival, which was on Thursday. Citing a recent case as an example, Cathay General Hospital gastroenterology department head Chu Yu-ming (朱淯銘) said that a 58-year-old taxi driver surnamed Hsiao (蕭) ate meals at irregular hours due to his work and has been taking diabetes medicine for three years. Hsiao recently bought a bag of zongzi and ate
While stereotypically considered a household pest that simply will not die, Hung Ting-yang’s (洪鼎揚) experience with Archimandrita tesselata, commonly called the peppered roach, might change a person’s mind. The peppered roach originates in South America, is omnivorous and, as it is capable of growing to 7cm to 9cm long, is a giant compared with other roaches, which have an average length of about 4cm. The peppered roach goes through six separate chrysalis stages and takes nine months to reach full maturity. Mature roaches have wings, but cannot fly and can only glide. They have an average lifespan of three years. As his
The EU’s list of safe nations to which it would reopen borders next week does not include Taiwan, but the Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday said the list has not been finalized and some EU countries have highlighted the importance of “reciprocity.” The provisional list comprises Algeria, Andorra, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, San Marino, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay and the Vatican, the New York Times reported on Friday. The EU said it would add China, considered one of the “acceptable countries,” if it also opens its borders to EU travelers, the newspaper reported. Backed by