More than half of Taiwanese do not agree with the concept of a “constitutional one China” (憲法一中), while nearly one-quarter reject Beijing’s “one China” principle, a media survey showed.
The survey, commissioned by the Chinese-language online media outlet My Formosa, defined “constitutional one China” as: “According to the Constitution of the Republic of China, its amendments and relevant laws, the sovereign territory of our country is comprised of the Taiwan region and the Mainland region. Therefore the two sides across the Strait belong to the same country, which is the Republic of China.”
The poll showed that 8.9 percent of respondents “strongly agreed” with the statement, while 23.7 percent “somewhat agreed” — for a total of 32.6 percent.
However, 20.7 percent of respondents said they “somewhat disagreed” and 33.3 percent said they “strongly disagreed” with the definition — for a total of 54 percent — while 13.4 percent had no opinion.
A cross-analysis of the survey, which was conducted by opinion surveyor Tai Li-an (戴立安), showed that 52.4 percent of pan-blue supporters agreed with the Constitution’s definition.
The definition found little favor among pan-green supporters, with the rates of disapproval surpassing 60 percent among respondents aged 20 to 29, residents of Kaohsiung and Pingtung, and those with university degrees.
The survey asked about Beijing’s “one China” principle, defined as: “The Chinese government believes that the Republic of China was overthrown in 1949; consequently, the People’s Republic of China is the only China extant in the world, with Taiwan being part of China’s sovereign territory.”
According to the poll, 2.6 percent of respondents “strongly agreed,” while 11.6 percent said they “somewhat agreed” with Beijing’s “one China” principle, for a total of 14.2 percent.
However, 22.1 percent said they “somewhat disagreed” and 50.4 percent said they “strongly disagreed” with the principle, for a total of 72.5 percent.
Among Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) supporters who answered the survey, 64.5 percent rejected Beijing’s “one China” policy.
The survey asked about the US’ “one China” policy, defined as: “The US government’s one China policy acknowledges the People’s Republic of China as the only legitimate government representing China, without acknowledging Taiwan as a part of China and with the addendum that the Taiwan question must be settled peacefully.”
According to the poll, 17.5 percent of respondents “strongly agreed” and 43.8 percent “somewhat agreed” with the US’ policy, for a total of 61.3 percent.
Eleven percent of respondents “somewhat disagreed” and 13.6 percent “strongly disagreed” with the US’ position, for a total of 24.6 percent, while 14.1 percent had no opinion.
The poll was conducted via computer-assisted telephone interviews, with 1,076 valid samples and a margin of error of 3 percentage points.
DOING ENOUGH? The HPA budgets NT$1.3 billion to prevent the health hazards of tobacco, but has no separate budget to fight teen drinking, a doctor said The government should step up alcohol education and prevention efforts, and allocate more of the budget to it, doctors said on Friday, citing the high consumption of alcohol among Taiwanese adolescents. One out of four 12-to-17-year-olds has consumed alcohol, said Yen Tsung-hai (顏宗海), director of Linkou Chang Gung Memorial Hospital’s Department of Clinical Toxicology. The Health Promotion Administration (HPA) budgets NT$1.3 billion (US$43.9 million) annually to prevent the health hazards of tobacco, but it has not allocated a separate budget for preventing teenage drinking or excessive alcohol use, Yen said. “There is no so-called ‘safe drinking level’ for minors,” because any amount consumed
The Fancy Frontier manga and anime expo held in Taipei over the weekend has sparked controversy, after a participant allegedly contravened the Act on Offenses Against Sexual Morality (妨害風化罪) by publicly exposing her private parts during a photo shoot. The two-day event opened at the Expo Dome at the Taipei Expo Park on Saturday, attracting numerous comic and anime creators, cosplayers, photographers and fans. Allegedly, a female cosplayer who was not wearing any underwear lifted up her skirt and revealed her private parts at an outdoor photography area near the venue. Event organizers said yesterday that to prevent indecent exposure, they have since
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
The National Taiwan Museum’s Railway Department Park in Taipei is to open to the public today. The park in Datong District (大同) near the North Gate (北門, Beimen) is one of the museum’s four branches. During the Japanese colonial era, the site housed the railway department of the Office of the Governor-General of Taiwan’s Bureau of Transportation. After World War II, it served as the headquarters for the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) for several decades. In 2007, it was listed as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Preservation Act (文化資產保存法). At an opening ceremony yesterday, Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Chia-lung