Solutions to an ecological disaster caused by introduced bird species is to be discussed by experts, the Council of Agriculture said yesterday.
The first step is to get the opinions of experts and academics, who are to meet in Taipei today to discuss the growing number African sacred ibises in Taiwan and their impact on the nation’s ecology, the council said.
Under the auspices of the council and the Chinese Wild Bird Federation, specialists in ecological balance and wild birds will discuss how best to deal with the problem, Forestry Bureau division head Kuan Li-hao (管立豪) said.
Kuan said the ibis, which is endemic to sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East, was first introduced to Taiwan more than 30 years ago by a private zoo.
In 1984, some ibises were spotted in a wetland, which indicated that they were breeding in the wild, Kuan said, adding that it is likely the birds escaped from the zoo in Hsinchu County during a typhoon.
That year, the number of African sacred ibises in Taiwan was in single digits, but now there are about 1,100 in the wetlands stretching from northeast Taiwan to the west coast, Kuan said.
The birds are also seen at wastewater treatment plants, on manure heaps and in garbage dumps, Kuan said.
The omnivorous African sacred ibis compete with the indigenous little egret and cattle egret for food and breeding grounds, he said, adding that the ibis might gradually drive out other bird species in rural areas.
The council has been trying to control the ibis population by removing eggs and destroying nests, but has had limited success, Kuan said.
The ibis has been listed by the EU as one of 100 invasive species, Kuan said.
In Africa, the bird feeds on the eggs and nestlings of wild birds that breed in groups, while in France, it eats the eggs and fledglings of terns and cattle egrets, he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a