Economic Democracy Union convener Lai Chung-chiang (賴中強) yesterday slammed the government over its decision to relax immigration regulations for Chinese, urging more discussion in the legislature.
Prior to the presidential and legislative elections last month the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government announced new regulations allowing children of Chinese immigrant spouses from previous marriages to remain in Taiwan, an extension of the application pending period, and, for those over 20 years of age, permission to attend college during the pending period without returning to China.
Lai said that President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) should not make the decision when he is to step down in a few months, adding that the number of immigrants allowed in Taiwan needs more public discussion and that the decision should be made by the legislature.
The National Immigration Agency said that because most Chinese immigrant couples’ children grow up in Taiwan and graduate from Taiwanese high schools, it would be difficult for them to move to China and adapt to the education system.
Meanwhile, because most of these people would be able to obtain Taiwanese citizenship, the government would help them to complete higher education, based on “helping to develop domestic talents,” the agency said.
According to the new regulations, starting this year, the quota for children of Chinese immigrants under 20 years old would increase from 180 to 200, and those who have lived in Taiwan for at least 183 days for two consecutive years can apply for naturalization.
The agency said that as there are 1,000 to 2,000 people who are on the waiting list for naturalization, it could take more than 10 years for all of them to complete the administrative procedure, adding that a four-to-six-year pending period would be more reasonable.
The agency made an advanced announcement that relaxing regulations on Chinese immigrants could increase the population, as the nation has an aging population.
According to the original regulation, underage children of Chinese immigrant couples must leave Taiwan at the age of 20 after completing high school.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has