Navy Command Headquarters yesterday said that the nation’s warships normally do not use the Automatic Identification System (AIS), except under exceptional conditions, adding that the nation’s newly commissioned Panshih (磐石) supply vessel has now turned off its AIS.
Navy officials made the remarks in response to a port official who said that it is worrying for the nation’s maritime security that ship captains are not aware of the dangers of their vessels’ positions being exposed when conducting missions at sea.
The official, who had retired from the navy and declined to be named, said that he was able to daily follow the nearshore voyage of the Panshih, which sailed from Zuoying Naval Base for the coastal waters around Kaohsiung.
He said he was able to track the AOE 532 Panshih, a fast combat support ship displacing 20,000 tonnes, because it was using AIS, which has an electronic signal to help identify and locate vessels, which allows other ships and port authorities to navigate and regulate marine traffic to avoid collisions.
Due to international maritime conventions, AIS must be installed aboard vessels that travel into international waters with a gross tonnage of 300 tonnes or more, and all passenger ships regardless of size.
According to naval warfare experts, although warships are exempt from such requirements, many do install AIS for use when navigating busy sea lanes and when near a commercial port, but ship captains can switch to a “signal receiving mode only” to avoid exposing their position.
The official said that the Panshih can easily be tracked by the public via the AIS Web site, adding: “This indicates that either the ship’s captain does not understand the need to avoid detection by enemy forces, or there are problems with the navy’s procurement of AIS equipment.”
The navy said that as it took delivery of the Panshih in January, it is still under warranty, and all onboard equipment and electronic systems are being tested to ensure their proper operation.
In other developments, Premier Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國) yesterday had to respond to media reports that alleged the Kidd-class destroyer Tsoying (左營) was used as a “sport boat” in May, when the captain of the destroyer purportedly allowed a petty officer to fish from its deck, from where he caught a large marlin.
Mao said a clear line should be drawn between duty and leisure when onboard warships at sea.
“If they are undertaking training missions, then officers should ensure that discipline and navy regulations are observed,” he said.
Minister of National Defense Kao Kuang-chi (高廣圻) said that whether regardless of whether a vessel is training or participating in exercises, completing missions should be the top priority, but added he would request that naval officials ascertain what had taken place.
However, netizens mostly supported the officers, as some said there are no regulations forbidding servicemen on warships from recreational fishing in their spare time, and others posted photographs of sailors aboard US warships fishing when off duty.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not