The Taipei City Government’s Cultural Heritage Evaluation Committee on Thursday designated a memorial cemetery in Liuzhangli (六張犁) as a municipal cultural landmark, overriding the recommendation of its parent organization, Taipei’s Department of Cultural Affairs.
Built in 2003 by Taipei’s Department of Social Welfare, the Memorial Cemetery for Victims of Political Persecution during the Martial Law Period (戒嚴時期政治受難者墓園) is the final resting place for many people killed during the White Terror era, when the then-Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government implemented martial law, purging dissidents and suspected communists.
The graves of at least 200 people killed during the White Terror era are in the memorial cemetery, including that of Huang Jung-tsan (黃榮燦), the artist that carved the famous Horrifying Inspection (恐怖的檢查) depicting the 228 Incident that took place in 1947.
In July, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City councilors Lee Chien-chang (李建昌) and Chien Shu-pei (簡舒培) slammed the city government for neglecting to designate the cemetery as a cultural landmark, in spite of a pledge from the municipal administration to do so 14 years ago.
Warning that the cemetery was at risk from soil erosion, the councilors also criticized the city government over failing to maintain the site or provide guided tours.
Pursuant to Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je’s (柯文哲) promise to make policymaking processes more transparent, the committee meeting was open to the media and a video record of its proceedings was made available to the general public.
Representatives from the Department of Cultural Affairs resisted the motion, saying that the cemetery lacked cultural value.
Instead, they suggested that a mortuary tower “museum” be built over the site.
Civic group representatives contested the department’s claims, arguing that the cemetery is a unique historical site.
They said that building a mortuary tower would negatively affect the cemetery by altering its features.
Committee member Hsia Chu-chiu (夏鑄九), an urban-planning professor emeritus at National Taiwan University, said the cemetery’s historical value is “beyond doubt” and that technical difficulties should not exclude it being designated a cultural landmark.
Additional Reporting by Yu Pei-ju
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not