The annual Han Kuang military exercises continued yesterday, with combined naval and air force combat maneuvers held off the east coast, and a simulation of the defense of Taichung Harbor from a Chinese attack.
However, live-fire drills and troop movements at a major armed forces base in southern Taiwan met with the protests of local residents.
The protest in southern Taiwan is part of a long-running feud between local residents and the military over the activities of the Joint Operations Training Base Command, which is in Pingtung County’s Checheng Township (車城).
Photo: Tsai Tsung-hsien, Taipei Times
Led by county councilors and township elected officials, more than 200 residents gathered at the entrance of the base yesterday morning and attempted to enter.
The residents wanted to stop the military exercise and the live-fire drills, because they said the noise and the concussive shocks from artillery bombardments have damaged nearby houses and severely affected their living environment.
Pingtung County authorities dispatched several squads of police officers to the scene.
Checheng Township mayor Chang Chun-kuei (張春桂) and County Councilor Lee Chih-wei (李志偉) of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) were among the officials who headed the protest and they negotiated with military officials to present residents’ grievances.
Lee said that residents have protested against the base since it was set up to train soldiers in the 1960s, and people have always demanded the base be moved elsewhere.
He and other officials said that many farm houses and buildings nearby the base have sustained cracks and severe deterioration, but the military does not provide residents with financial compensation and has never conducted damage assessment on the areas surrounding the base.
Voicing their demands at the base entrance, one resident said: “[Former vice president] Lien Chan (連戰) has been to China to review the Chinese military parades, so our nation’s armed forces need not hold these drills anymore, which cause difficulties to our daily lives.”
In yesterday’s drill, the army’s engineers corps simulated the placing of explosives on piers and other infrastructure at Taichung Harbor, in the event of incursion by Chinese warships.
In addition, a trainee soldier at the Airborne Special Forces Command base in Tainan was found hanging in his barracks on Tuesday, with military officials saying preliminary findings indicate a suicide.
Military officials said the soldier, surnamed Lin (林), was found hanging from the roof of the barracks on Tuesday afternoon.
He was taken down and emergency services were sent for, but medics were unable to revive him and he was pronounced dead, officials said, adding that Lin’s family were notified.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the