Academia Historica is an important asset for information on the 1937-1945 Second Sino-Japan war because it owns the Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石) archives, Academia Historica special commissioner Chen Yi-hua said yesterday.
Chen said the Taipei-based institute is comparable to the US-based Hoover Institution at Stanford University, which owns Chiang’s diaries.
Chen said that the Chiang archive has become one of the institution’s anchors, as it is full of important data on the war, including documents on Chiang’s decisions and directives made during the war and letters written by him.
The data also includes information about the Marco Polo bridge incident of July 7, 1937, seen as the trigger to the war, as well as correspondence between defector Wang Ching-wei (汪精衛) and his group, Chen said.
The archive has about 230,000 photographs covering the period from 1908 to the 1970s.
Academia Historica has digitalized most of the archive, scanning of 781,803 pages and compiling 109,951 items of information, he said.
Academia Historica also curates a wide range of data related to Chiang’s Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government, including information on air strikes staged by Japan, casualties and damage caused by the Japanese invasion of China and efforts by the government to catch Wang and other defectors who assisted Japan against the Republic of China.
The data also details the victory over Japan, and the takeover of Taiwan and the northeastern part of China that was occupied by Japan before the war.
Academia Historica said it has 451,822 files of data and about 12.46 million photos, along with microfilm and other materials.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not