Critics have lashed out at President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) over comments he made about bolstering the nation’s combat abilities, saying that he has slashed military budgets, which have fallen below his election promise of at least 3 percent of GDP.
Ma on Wednesday touted improved defense capabilities, urging Taiwanese to be vigilant against the potential breakout of hostilities because China has not renounced its use of force against the nation.
However, one military expert said Ma is playing charades in an attempt to deceive the public once again.
Since the beginning of his presidency, the military budget has seen a downward trend, falling below 2.5 percent of GDP, said the expert, who declined to be named.
Data and reports from Office of the President and the National Development Council show that in 2009 — the first full year of Ma’s administration — the military budget was 3 percent of GDP, but dropped to 2.98 percent in 2010, the defense expert said.
It was slashed to 2.69 percent of GDP in 2011, then steadied at 2.7 percent in 2012 and 2013, before dropping to 2.48 percent last year, the expert said.
The expert said Ma had not fulfilled his election promise to hold the military budget at 3 percent of GDP.
There is a serious credibility gap there, because Ma has continued talking publicly, including in international dealings, about the military threat posed by China, the expert added.
The Ministry of National Defense said in a press release that if the Executive Yuan agrees to major arms procurements in the future, the government can allocate secondary reserve funds or utilize special program funds to help achieve military plans and policies.
The statement said that the military budget is not at 3 percent of GDP, adding however that the nation is ready and able to defend itself amid troop readjustment programs.
“The military will proactively improve the defense and combat capabilities of the nation’s troops and will submit requests for sufficient funding,” the statement said. “The military seeks the support of all Taiwanese, so together we can ensure the nation’s security.”
Ma was inspecting computer-assisted war games on Wednesday at the ministry command center in Taipei, where the simulated military exercises, which began on Monday, are to conclude today.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the