Pressure from civic groups over democratic reform has led to speculation that the government will lower referendum and recall thresholds.
Activist groups have been calling for amendments to the Referendum Act (公民投票法) and the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法), which they say have statutory thresholds too high for referendums and recalls to be feasible.
Executive Yuan Secretary-General Chien Tai-lang (簡太郎) is said to have convened a task force to review and assess possible amendments to the Referendum Act.
While the Executive Yuan has continued to endorse the turnout threshold of 50 percent of eligible voters, the voting age for referendums was lowered from 20 to 18 and is expected to be approved in the near future, while a Ministry of the Interior official said a downward adjustment to the threshold for proposing a referendum is expected.
A source yesterday said that it is likely that administration departments would lower the thresholds for both voter turnout and signatures in the near future.
The Referendum Act sets the threshold for the proposal of a referendum at 0.5 percent of voters in the previous presidential election and, after the proposal is reviewed, the second stage needs to gather signatures from 5 percent of voters for a referendum to be set up.
Activists are calling for a lower proposal threshold of 0.01 percent of total voters in the previous presidential election and a lowering of the signature threshold to 1.5 percent, while the rule requiring 50 percent of eligible voters to participate would become a simple majority.
The Executive Yuan has been urged to table its proposals.
Executive Yuan spokesperson Sun Lih-chyun (孫立群) said that keeping the double-50 percent thresholds remains the Executive Yuan’s position on the issue, meaning a referendum is passed only when two conditions are met: 50 percent voter turnout and yes votes make up more than 50 percent of the valid ballots.
Sun said that Chien has convened agencies, including the Ministry of the Interior, the Central Election Committee and the Executive Yuan’s Law and Regulation Committee to form a task force, to review and mull possible amendments.
Since the Executive Yuan is responsible for maintaining the Referendum Act, it has to justify its stance on issues related to it, Sun said.
The ministry is to hold a public hearing on amendments to the Referendum Act later this month, the ministry official said.
The ministry is to collect and organize opinions and see whether a consensus could be reached, the official said.
However, with the activist groups calling for the abolition of the 13-member Referendum Review Committee, which has the authority to reject a referendum proposal, among other proposals, conflicting viewpoints are expected to be seen between the ruling and the opposition parties.
The official said a reason to keep the existing thresholds is to make sure the number of valid votes required for a referendum to pass does not become too low.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not