Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday called for DPP members to participate in antinuclear demonstrations set to take place across the nation on Saturday.
“Four years ago, we witnessed — along with all of humanity — the price we have to pay for nuclear power. We have also witnessed since then the actions of many countries, who have, after self-reflection, made moves to speed up the development of alternative energy sources and the adjustment of their energy and industry policies, in order to be able to welcome the advent of a non-nuclear homeland sooner,” Tsai said, referring to the nuclear disaster that unfolded in Fukushima, Japan, following a tsunami in 2011. “Among all these actions, the DPP’s ‘2025 nuclear-free homeland’ is one.”
Tsai said that President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) has failed to pursue the goal of a nuclear-free Taiwan in the past few years, “while South Korea’s capital, Seoul, has launched a policy plan of ‘One Less Nuclear Power Plant’ and in merely two years cut energy consumption equivalent to the electricity generating capacity of a Fourth Nuclear Power Plant.”
Photo: Lo Pei-der, Taipei Times
“There is no reason for Taiwan to lag behind when a city has shown its resolve by carrying out actions,” she said.
Tsai called on the nation to initiate a similar plan and take action now, with the final goal being a nuclear-free Taiwan.
“The DPP is starting from the 13 cities and counties it governs, where energy saving, improving energy efficiency and promoting green energy will be approaches for weaning people from dependence on nuclear power,” she said. “We will also put forward a new energy policy and make progress toward the goal of a 2025 nuclear-free homeland when the party governs the country.”
Saturday’s antinuclear rallies, organized by the National Anti-Nuclear Action Platform, are to take place in Taipei, Kaohsiung, Tainan and Taitung.
“I’m officially issuing a mobilization order to the party for the 314 antinuclear rally, in which the party will be standing with the people of the nation for a future without fear,” Tsai said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a