Ahead of anti-nuclear demonstrations scheduled for Saturday, former presidential adviser Rex How (郝明義) yesterday criticized the government for backing the extension of the service life of the Jinshan Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s Shihmen District (石門), and drew attention to the issue of used fuel rods.
In an article published in the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper), How slammed the government for touting the benefits of nuclear energy, while failing to address its own incompetence at nuclear waste management.
He said that there are two reactors at the Jinshan plant, and the fuel pool of the No. 1 reactor reached capacity at the end of last year.
Photo: Tsai Wen-chu, Taipei Times
The fuel pool of the No. 2 reactor will reach its capacity in March next year, meaning that there will be no more space to store the two reactors’ spent fuel rods, he wrote.
On Taiwan Power Co’s (Taipower) request to extend the service life of the plant for 20 years after its scheduled decommissioning in 2018, How said both the proponents and detractors of the plan have overlooked the problem of the lack of storage space for nuclear waste.
“Many who oppose extending the service life of the plant have accepted the 2018 deadline, while supporters say that with proper maintenance, the plant can remain operational until 2038. Both sides fail to address the problem of the lack of spent fuel rod storage,” he said.
“Just like a person who has a three-to-five year life expectancy but whose anus has been blocked, how can he survive without the ability to void?” How wrote. “Similarly, no matter what condition a nuclear power plant is in, how can it continue to operate without any room for spent fuel rods?”
It is dangerous to use anything that has expired, not to mention powering a nuclear reactor with spent fuel rods, he said.
“No one in the world has ever tried it, yet that is exactly what Taipower plans to do,” he said.
The plan has been put on hold following an incident in December last year, when a No. 1 reactor fuel rod cask handle was found to be loose, for which Taipower has said it would seek NT$1.5 billion (U$47.6 million) in compensation from French firm Avera, How said.
While that incident is to be covered by compensation, any potential accidents caused by burning spent fuel rods, on Taipower’s own initiative, would not be, he said, adding that the consequences of such actions would be unthinkable and beyond anyone’s ability to control.
How called on demonstrators in the upcoming nuclear march to focus their attention on the used-up fuel pool, saying that it should be decommissioned at once and so should the second pool, once it reaches capacity.
“We must be prudent of the great danger we are in, and prepare for future generations. A potential nuclear meltdown must be averted,” he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a