The Ministry of Economic Affairs came under fire after a draft free-trade agreement between South Korea and China was revealed on Wednesday, as the tariff reductions proposed in the pact were not as significant as the ministry previously claimed.
Critics said that the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) administration exaggerated the impact of the pending treaty to coerce the public into supporting trade agreements between Taiwan and China.
They said that the ministry used the Beijing-Seoul deal as a “scare tactic” in an attempt to swing the vote in the KMT’s favor during last year’s nine-in-one elections.
Photo: CNA
In November last year, the ministry said that the pending Beijing-Seoul pact would deal a NT$650 billion (US$20.7 billion) blow to Taiwan’s economy and urged the nation to ratify the proposed cross-strait service trade agreement to mitigate the impact.
A KMT campaign advertisement leading up to the elections last year featured a woman dressed in traditional Korean garb who thanked the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) for blocking cross-strait trade bills.
In contrast with the ministry’s earlier claims, Minister of Economic Affairs John Deng (鄧振中) on Wednesday said that the draft was “quite different” from the ministry’s previous expectations.
According to the Beijing-Seoul draft, tariffs for many industries considered key export industries for Taiwan will not be reduced significantly — including LCD panels, automobile parts, petrochemicals and machine tools.
Human rights lawyer and Economic Democracy Union convener Lai Chung-chiang (賴中強) yesterday said that the unveiled contents of the draft “shattered all sorts of exaggerated and unrealistic threats” by the KMT.
Lai said that the pending Beijing-Seoul agreement gradually lowers tariffs between the two nations over a buffer period of 20 years.
“Members of the public should not panic over the agreement,” Lai said.
Lai added that the transparent deliberation process of the pact could serve as an example for Taiwan, as both China and South Korea would be given another four months to conduct economic assessments of the draft before the treaty is ratified.
He said the “transparency mechanism” presented by the Beijing-Seoul treaty could serve as a lesson for the KMT administration in its interactions with China.
Tens of thousands of protesters took to the streets last year during the Sunflower movement, after a KMT legislator was perceived to ram through the proposed cross-strait service trade agreement while bypassing legislative deliberation.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a