The Taipei City Government’s pending plans to encourage journalists to wear “press vests” during mass demonstrations has provoked resistance from foreign correspondents working in Taiwan, adding to a debate that has raged since early last month.
In a statement issued on Friday, the Taiwan Foreign Correspondents’ Club (TFCC) said the potential regulations — in which journalists are advised to wear readily identifiable press vests or face eviction along with protesters in areas being cleared by police — are unnecessary and would stifle the freedom of the press.
Despite earlier government announcements that said the press vests were meant to “protect” journalists during mass protests, the TFCC said that individual journalists and media organizations should bear full responsibility for their own safety, adding that the choice to self-identify or not also served as a means of protection.
The group said it would be “inappropriate” for the government to take on the burden of protecting journalists, since it was the duty of the media to report on the government’s actions.
Club president Jane Rickards, a correspondent for The Economist, told the Taipei Times that 17 journalists from foreign media organizations participated in a forum on Jan. 14 to discuss their stance on the issue, following a brief presentation by officials from the city government.
She said that the statement largely conveyed the consensus of the forum, as well as e-mails and online discussions among foreign correspondents, adding that the new regulations led to “quite some feelings” among members of the club since they were announced.
She added that it was important to protect Taiwan’s current freedom of the press and “amazing” democratic achievements.
The club’s statement is the latest opposition toward a new protocol suggested by Taipei City Police Department on Jan. 1, which was proposed in a bid to regulate the media during mass demonstrations — such as the Sunflower movement in March and April last year.
Several proposals in the new protocol drew mixed responses from local reporters, including a plan that advised reporters to stay in designated “press zones” during protests, where they would receive additional protection, or face the risk of eviction.
While Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) later said the police department’s plans for press zones were “stupid” and postponed them, his support for related plans for reporters to wear press vests was met with equal resistance.
Rickards said that she opposed both proposals, as they prevented journalists from conveying the full picture of a demonstration.
There was “a big difference” between readily showing one’s identification card to interviewees and being visible in the crowd, she said.
“A journalist’s job is to expose what is going on and shine light upon the action,” she said, adding that if journalists wear press vests, they would be easily spotted by “whoever is creating actions they do not want people to know about,” which might include anything from criminal activities to police brutality.
“With the [press] zones it’s the same thing, you’re going to miss out on a lot of the action, because you won’t have a bird’s eye view of the rally,” she said.
Taipei Police Department Deputy Commissioner and spokesman Chou Shou-sung (周壽松) told the Taipei Times yesterday that plans for press zones and press vests are still under discussion and that specific details would be announced only after a consensus was reached with the Association of Taiwan Journalists.
Additional reporting by Abraham Gerber
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not