Former minister of labor Pan Shih-wei (潘世偉) yesterday insinuated that he was ousted because he had got in somebody else’s way of raking in money.
Pan tendered his resignation during a telephone call to Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) on Thursday morning after a magazine reported about his alleged extramarital affair. Jiang approved his resignation later that day.
However, one day after leaving his post, Pan lashed out at the government’s “administrative system” on Facebook, saying that the “ganging up for self-interests” inside the system is “truly horrible.”
“Those [who ganged up] are high-ranking civil servants. They know how to plan and use the budget, and how to enrich their own coffers and use their own people to justify the process,” Pan said. “It is all in the name of the public, but in fact it is to line their own pockets.”
“It was simply because I was in the way of their plan to amass fortune,” he said.
Pan also rebutted media reports saying he failed to attend a meeting with the premier on the day that he tendered his resignation, calling the report “a machination.”
“After I called the premier in the morning, I received a call from the Executive Yuan for a meeting at 11:15am. I bumped into New Taipei City Deputy Mayor [Chen Shen-hsien (陳伸賢)] and Minister of Health and Welfare Chiu Wen-ta (邱文達) in the Executive Yuan,” he said.
“Before entering the premier’s office, I also happened to meet central bank Governor [Perng Fai-nan (彭淮南)], who told me that it must have been someone from your [agency who had schemed against you]. I seconded his comment,” the former minister said.
“So it was absolutely nonsense to claim that I did not meet with the premier,” he said.
“Does the media machination have to be like this?” he asked.
Media reports quoted Executive Yuan spokesman Sun Lih-Chyun (孫立群) as saying that Pan tendered his resignation verbally to Jiang and failed to meet with the premier.
Pan said that when he met with the premier, before the spokesperson made the statement, Jiang had agreed not to make public his resignation for the time being.
“We needed to make our comments in line with each other [following the spokesperson’s remarks], so we had to say that I would meet the premier in the afternoon,” Pan said, adding that Jiang had made the decision “only under group pressure.”
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,