Award-winning singer Jam Hsiao (蕭敬騰) yesterday denounced violence and called for justice after his van was bombarded with feces by two motorcyclists a day earlier, leaving his driver soaked with ordure and covered in bruises as he tried to stop the culprits from fleeing.
“I am particularly furious over how deeply my colleague was hurt by the attack. There is no way I will let the perpetrators off easily. I believe in justice and in Taiwan’s police authorities and the media. I demand an answer,” Hsiao said at a press conference in Taipei yesterday morning.
Hsiao’s driver bore the brunt of the assault, as Hsiao was sitting in the back of the van parked outside his residence in Taipei’s Nangang District (南港) when the two helmeted attackers hurled a bucket of droppings toward the driver’s seat on Monday afternoon.
Photo: CNA
The driver also sustained multiple bruises on his limbs after he was dragged 30m along the ground while he was trying to stop the culprits.
Asked if the attack could have been the result of a personal feud, Hsiao said he had never made an enemy, nor was he having any financial or work-related problems.
Hsiao said some of his colleagues had received threatening telephone calls and letters over the past three months, but he had been reluctant to make the matter public to avoid giving the extortionists the impression that he was using the media to bully them.
“However, what happened yesterday was the limit. I am furious ... and deeply sorry for what happened to my co-worker. At the same time, I am worried that something similar could happen to my other colleagues and family, so I really hope the police can catch the culprits,” he said.
Hsiao said the attackers were most likely hired by someone, but declined to say who he thinks is the mastermind. He said he would tell the public once his speculations were verified.
He reiterated that he would not succumb to threats and would not change his work schedule because of the incident.
Hsiao’s agent, Summer Lin (林有慧), said the threatening calls and letters all came from the same person, who claimed to be “seeking justice for someone.”
As to whether Hsiao would consider moving after the attack and an incident in July in which an ardent female fan sent a bowl of soup to his house at midnight, Lin said moving was not a permanent solution because people would still find him wherever he lived, adding that Hsiao has hired two round-the-clock bodyguards for protection.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not