President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday stressed the “six assurances” issued by the US government and said the government will continue arms procurements with the US to safeguard national security.
“Although cross-strait developments have reached their most peaceful stage in 64 years, it does not mean we do not face national security threats. We will continue to purchase arms from the US,” he said during a visit to Kinmen.
Ma’s comments came amid Chinese media reports that the US has given a “positive response” to a Chinese government proposal to discuss such arms sales with Beijing.
PHOTO: AFP / Taiwan Presidential Office
The president reiterated the “six assurances,” under which the US government promised not to set a date for the termination of arms sales to Taiwan, nor to hold prior consultation with China regarding such arms sales, and said the US has denied the Chinese media reports.
Washington has clarified that US-China working groups would be set up to deal with issues of mutual concern, but said that arms sales to Taiwan are not set to be covered, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
Ma made the remarks while visiting Kinmen to attend a ceremony marking the 55th anniversary of an artillery battle between then Republic of China military and the People’s Republic of China.
The president rang a peace bell at a memorial service for soldiers and civilians killed in the conflict, that began on Aug. 23, 1958.
Later yesterday while meeting members of the US Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, Ma thanked the US for its firm stance on arms procurement deals with Taiwan, and reiterated that his administration will continue purchasing arms from the US to maintain Taiwan’s national defense capabilities.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a