President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) has become a lame duck president with persistent low approval ratings and people have given up hope in him, academics said yesterday, after the results of a recent opinion poll were released.
Ma’s approval rating has dropped to a record-low 19.1 percent, and 60 percent of respondents said they did not expect a better performance from Ma in the remainder of his second term, the poll showed.
The survey, conducted by Taiwan Thinktank, polled respondents on Ma’s performance, as well as their views on public policies, such as the national referendum on the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant, the 12-year compulsory education system and pension reform.
Photo: Wang Min-wei, Taipei Times
The survey found Ma’s approval rating was a dismal 19.1 percent, the lowest since the think tank began conducting a monthly tracking poll in March last year, and 69.9 percent of those polled said they were unsatisfied with his performance.
On a scale of one to 10, Ma only received a passing score of 5.19 on personal integrity and scored no more than 3.76 in the other five categories: understanding people’s needs, government personnel, promoting the economy, promoting social justice and safeguarding the nation’s sovereignty.
Overall, Ma scored 3.66 for his performance over the first year of his second term, the survey found.
Asked whether they expected Ma to do better in the remaining three years of his term, which began on May 20 last year, 60 percent of the respondents said ‘no,’ with only 28.8 percent saying that they still have hope.
“In general, Ma has been an arbitrary ruler in domestic affairs and a soft leader in external affairs,” Taiwan Thinktank president Lin Chia-lung (林佳龍), a Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmaker, told a press conference.
The responses to other questions in the poll showed widespread public opposition to, and doubts about, government policies, Lin said, adding that “that is why Ma is insisting on running for another term as Chinese Nationalist Party [KMT] chairman.”
“He has failed in too many areas and is already a lame duck, so the only way he can hang onto power is by controlling distribution rights as KMT chairman,” Lin said.
On the nuclear issue, 67 percent of the respondents said a national referendum over the construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant should be held only after nuclear safety of the plant is assured, despite the government saying that the referendum and safety were different issues.
Almost half, or 49.2 percent of those polled, said they would support an opposition boycott at the Legislative Yuan if the government insisted on holding the referendum before safety checks at the plant are completed.
However, 75 percent of the respondents said they did not trust the Ministry of Economic Affairs’ inspection panel and 65.4 percent of the respondents said they would support halting the construction of the plant in the referendum.
Asked about pension reform, 67.4 percent of respondents said Ma’s current plan for reforms favored civil servants over private-sector workers.
Eighty percent of those polled were unfamiliar with the 12-year compulsory education system, with 69.1 percent saying that they had no confidence in the system.
A majority of respondents questioned Ma’s determination to fight corruption, with 67.6 percent saying that the judiciary had applied different standards in the corruption cases of former Executive Yuan secretary-general Lin Yi-shih (林益世) and former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), while 68.8 percent said Ma was not serious about combating graft.
“In examination of the ‘three P’s’ — personality, performance and policy — of Ma, it appeared that we could find little optimism about Ma’s future,” Academia Sinica assistant research fellow David Huang (黃偉峰) said.
The poll, conducted between Tuesday and Friday, collected 1,069 valid samples and had a margin of error of 3 percentage points.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a