The decision to incorporate a live-fire drill into this year’s Han Kuang military exercises for the first time since President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) assumed office in 2008 is a reflection of public opinion, the military said yesterday.
The military will conduct a large-scale drill using live ammunition in Penghu County on April 17 during the annual military exercises, which are the country’s most important war games and involve the participation of the army, the air force and the navy.
The Chinese-language China Times yesterday reported that the military’s exclusion of live ammunition from the Han Kuang exercises since 2008 reflected the political climate at a time of improved cross-strait relations following Ma’s election, as well as the government’s policy of saving energy.
The newspaper added that the military had conducted live-fire Han Kuang drills every year during former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) administration, but because the missiles had missed their targets several times during the drills, then-chief of the general staff Hou Shou-yeh (霍守業) had suggested ceasing the use of live ammunition.
The military yesterday dismissed the report’s claims in a press statement, saying that the military had suspended live-fire exercises because they had been widely criticized as publicity stunts that were pointless, as they were too unrealistic to properly simulate warfare.
The resumption of live-fire drills this year is a response to opinions voiced by various segments of society, the military said, adding that Hou had not changed his mind because of the missed targets, as the report said.
According to Tseng Fu-hsin (曾復興), assistant deputy chief of the General Staff for Operation and Planning, the Taiwan-made Thunderbolt-2000 multiple-launch rocket system will be debuted during the exercises.
The live-fire drills on April 17 will take place in Penghu’s Wude area (五德), as well as in the airspace over and marine area off southern Penghu, because these places have been designated as sites for national defense combat, Tseng said.
Penghu beaches are perfectly suited for testing the Thunderbolt system in simulated counterstrike scenarios, he added.
SPEEDING ELETRIC VEHICLES: Available without license requirements, the low-cost vehicles, especially if illicitly modified, can often reach a dangerous speed The government should crack down on illegal electric bicycles and scooters, the non-profit Consumers’ Foundation said on Friday, citing research on the potentially dangerous speed of the vehicles. Electric bicycles and lightweight electric scooters have gained popularity as they do not require registration and riders do not need licenses, the foundation said, adding that as many as 40 percent of them can reach speeds exceeding the legal limit of 25kph for non-licensed two-wheelers. Some consumers also purchased legal electric vehicles and modified them to reach higher speeds, it said. “If the government does not step up efforts to confiscate these
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,
NEW CASE REPORTED: A man who returned from South Africa on a flight with the nation’s 460th and 461st cases has now tested positive for the disease The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that there is no need to test all arrivals to the nation for COVID-19, a policy the Executive Yuan supports. The center reported one new imported case, bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 477. The new case is a Taiwanese man in his 60s who on July 25 returned from South Africa, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), who is also the CECC’s spokesman. The man had returned to Taiwan on the same flight as cases Nos. 460 and 461, reported on July 27, Chuang said. On July 24,