The National Freeway Bureau yesterday said that downgrading Freeway No. 5 to an expressway was inappropriate because it was built and maintained using money from the Freeway Construction Fund.
The idea of downgrading the freeway was proposed by Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Chen Ou-po (陳歐珀), who represents Yilan County.
Earlier this month, Minister of Transportation and Communications Yeh Kuang-shih (葉匡時) announced that a “pay-as-you-go” toll system for freeway drivers would be implemented in August or September. Drivers on the north-south freeways would have a 20km toll-free concession, while people driving on the east-west freeways would for now be exempt from paying any tolls, Yeh said, adding that the latter measure would be re-examined after two or three years.
Chen said that freeways No. 1, 3 and 5 are all north-south freeways, but Freeway No. 5 is more like an expressway and cannot be compared with freeways No. 1 and No. 3 in terms of driving speed and road specifications.
He said it was unfair for drivers on Freeway No. 5 to pay the same toll as those on freeways No. 1 and No. 3 when Freeway No. 5 has more than 20km in plain areas.
Chen said the plain section of Freeway No. 5 is the only route connecting the northern and southern areas of Yilan County.
While most counties on the west coast have expressways that serve as alternatives to freeways, Yilan does not, he said.
Chen said the ministry should take into account road users’ convenience when making toll policy.
He said that the county could attract more tourists if Freeway No. 5 was designated an expressway.
In response, the bureau’s chief engineer Wu Mu-fu (吳木富) said that all the freeways are built and designed following the same standards, adding that Freeway No. 5 is the same as sections on freeways No. 1 and No. 3 in terms of road width and the speed limit.
“National freeways are maintained and built using the National Freeway Construction Fund, whose revenue comes from the toll fees collected from all freeway users,” Wu said.
“If a freeway is downgraded to an expressway, the government must reimburse the construction fund for the sum used to build it. The government must also appropriate the budget annually for the maintenance cost of the expressway, which means all the taxpayers, including those who are not using the freeways, must pay for it. That is not fair either,” Wu said.
AGING: While Japan has 22 submarines, Taiwan only operates four, two of which were commissioned by the US in 1945 and 1946, and transferred to Taiwan in 1973 Taiwan would need at least 12 submarines to reach modern fleet capabilities, CSBC Corp, Taiwan chairman Chen Cheng-hung (陳政宏) said in an interview broadcast on Friday, citing a US assessment. CSBC is testing the nation’s first indigenous defense submarine, the Hai Kun (海鯤, Narwhal), which is scheduled to be delivered to the navy next month or in July. The Hai Kun has completed torpedo-firing tests and is scheduled to undergo overnight sea trials, Chen said on an SET TV military affairs program. Taiwan would require at least 12 submarines to establish a modern submarine force after assessing the nation’s operational environment and defense
A white king snake that frightened passengers and caused a stir on a Taipei MRT train on Friday evening has been claimed by its owner, who would be fined, Taipei Rapid Transit Corp (TRTC) said yesterday. A person on Threads posted that he thought he was lucky to find an empty row of seats on Friday after boarding a train on the Bannan (Blue) Line, only to spot a white snake with black stripes after sitting down. Startled, he jumped up, he wrote, describing the encounter as “terrifying.” “Taipei’s rat control plan: Release snakes on the metro,” one person wrote in reply, referring
The coast guard today said that it had disrupted "illegal" operations by a Chinese research ship in waters close to the nation and driven it away, part of what Taipei sees a provocative pattern of China's stepped up maritime activities. The coast guard said that it on Thursday last week detected the Chinese ship Tongji (同濟號), which was commissioned only last year, 29 nautical miles (54km) southeast of the southern tip of Taiwan, although just outside restricted waters. The ship was observed lowering ropes into the water, suspected to be the deployment of scientific instruments for "illegal" survey operations, and the coast
An inauguration ceremony was held yesterday for the Danjiang Bridge, the world’s longest single-mast asymmetric cable-stayed bridge, ahead of its official opening to traffic on Tuesday, marking a major milestone after nearly three decades of planning and construction. At the ceremony in New Taipei City attended by President William Lai (賴清德), Premier Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰), Minister of Transportation and Communications Chen Shih-kai (陳世凱) and New Taipei City Mayor Hou Yu-ih (侯友宜), the bridge was hailed as both an engineering landmark and a long-awaited regional transport link connecting Tamsui (淡水) and Bali (八里)