A Hong Kong film company has been ordered to return a government subsidy, with interest, over the controversy surrounding the 2008 movie Miao Miao (渺渺).
The teen romance movie was directed by Cheng Hsiao-tse (程孝澤), a young up-and-coming Taiwanese director, and was made in collaboration with Hong Kong-based Jet Tone Films. It starred Alice Ko (柯佳嬿) and Chang Yung-yung (張榕容).
Under an incentive program from the now-defunct Government Information Office (GIO) to help develop the domestic film industry, Jet Tone Films received a NT$4 million (US$134,934) subsidy for the production.
The government body revoked the subsidy and demanded the return of the money after the film was entered in the 2009 Melbourne International Film Festival as a Hong Kong, rather than Taiwanese, production.
Miao Miao was later pulled from the film festival along with films from China and Hong Kong to protest the festival’s screening of a documentary about exiled Uighur leader Rebiya Kadeer.
As the Miao Miao project had received government funding, the decision to pull out of the film festival sparked outrage in Taiwan.
Jet Tone Films argued that the movie was withdrawn to avoid it being entangled in political disputes.
Under the GIO’s subsidy program, a GIO spokesperson said Jet Tone Films signed a contract on Dec. 30, 2005, supporting filmmaking in Taiwan.
“The contract stated that upon the completion of the movie, Miao Miao shall enter international film festivals as a Taiwanese production. If not, the subsidy shall be returned,” the spokesperson said.
He said the film company had violated the contract, by listing Miao Miao as a Hong Kong entry, and also withdrew from the festival in conjunction with Chinese films, and therefore has no grounds for keeping the subsidy.
A representative from Jet Tone Films said the contract did not cover the Melbourne International Film Festival, adding that the GIO should not misinterpret the conditions of the contract.
Also, as Miao Miao was withdrawn prior to the opening of the film festival, the film actually did not participate in the event, the representative said.
“Therefore the GIO should not ask for a return of the subsidy because of the political circumstances,” he said.
The Supreme Court said the film company had clearly violated the terms of the contract and must return the NT$4 million plus accrued interest.
In a press release on Thursday, the studio said it regretted the court’s decision, but would not give up its efforts to make movies in Taiwan and to discover talented actors.
Additional reporting by Tsou Nien-tsu
A survey of young Taiwanese showed that only 36.5 percent of men and 19.6 percent of women believe marriage is important, a trend that academics say is key to the nation’s low birthrate. Yang Wen-shan (楊文山), an adjunct research fellow at Academia Sinica’s Institute of Sociology, yesterday announced the 12th round of results from a longitudinal survey of attitudes among young Taiwanese toward markers of adulthood. While few of the respondents, who were aged 28 to 32 when surveyed in 2017, found marriage to be important, 95.8 percent believed that being responsible for oneself should take precedence, data showed. Economic independence came in
SHRINKING FEMALE POPULATION: Last year, 107.74 boys were born for every 100 girls in Taiwan, which is a greater gender imbalance than in Japan and South Korea The Ministry of the Interior recorded 9,601 births in January, the first time the nation has produced fewer than 10,000 newborns in a single month, while different indicators showed that Taiwan might also be facing a population with increasingly fewer births, women and marriages. It comes after the ministry reported a record low 165,249 births last year, which was lower than the 173,156 deaths recorded last year. The nation experienced negative population growth for the first time last year, ministry data found. The number of births in January also dropped from a year earlier, when there were 12,510 births. In February, there were
The Hualien District Prosecutors’ Office has listed six people as suspects in a judicial investigation into a fatal train crash on Friday last week. Fifty people were killed and more than 200 were injured when the Taroko Express No. 408 train slammed into a crane truck that had slid onto the tracks near the entrance of Cingshuei Tunnel (清水隧道) in Hualien’s Sioulin Township (秀林). The office also summoned six officials at the Taiwan Railways Administration’s (TRA) Hualien Engineering Section for questioning about alleged illegal business operations and unsafe work conditions by Yi Hsiang Industry Co and Tung Hsin Construction Co, the two
KEEPING FOCUSED: Premier Su Tseng-chang was said to have commended Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Chia-lung, but said the tragedy takes priority Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Chia-lung (林佳龍) has submitted a verbal resignation in the wake of the Taroko Express No. 408 train crash two days ago, Executive Yuan spokesman Lo Ping-cheng (羅秉成) said yesterday. In a call, Lin told Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) that he wished to step down, to take responsibility for the deadliest accident involving a Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) train in 40 years. As of press time last night, the Hualien District Prosecutors’ Office had revised the death toll from 51, which had been reported on the previous day, to 50, after DNA testing showed that what had