Civic groups yesterday announced a nationwide anti-nuclear parade next Saturday, calling on members of the public to stand against unsafe nuclear power plants.
“Terminate the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant, take to the streets everyone,” and “Break through the ‘bird cage,’ toward a better future,” representatives from a number of groups organizing the parade chanted at a press conference in Taipei yesterday, while adding that a referendum proposed by the Cabinet on the construction of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant would not guarantee nuclear safety.
“It’s a survival issue, not a battle between political parties,” Green Citizens’ Action Alliance secretary-general Tsuei Su-hsin (崔愫欣) said, adding that the nuclear power issue is a great concern of the public, but the current “birdcage referendum” law — with excessively high thresholds for putting a referendum proposal on a ballot and passing it — makes it an unfair battle between the opposing sides.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
“The government is using its resources to oppress rising anti-nuclear voices in society, looking down on civic groups and probably thinking that they will lose the vote if it manipulates the referendum as if it were a political election, but we will make our voices heard on the streets, asking for a better future with sustainable energy,” she said.
“Taiwan is so small that it does not have the conditions to develop nuclear power, because the harm caused by a nuclear disaster would be irreversible,” Citizens of the Earth Taiwan chairman Liao Pen-chuan (廖本全) said, adding that the referendum proposed by the Cabinet clearly shows its intention to continue with the construction of the power plant because it does not consider the other options should voters choose to abolish nuclear power.
Homemakers United Foundation president Chen Man-li (陳曼麗) said nuclear power is only the choice of 32 of 193 nations and it is not suitable for Taiwan because the nation is so small and there would be nowhere to hide should a disaster occur.
The organizers plan to begin the parade on Ketagalan Boulevard in Taipei, Aozihdi Forest Park (凹仔底森林公園) in Greater Kaohsiung, the Civil Plaza (市民廣場) in Greater Taichung and Taitung Sinsheng Park (台東市新生公園) in Taitung City next Saturday afternoon.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a