Although the former Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) administration upheld the nation’s claims to the Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台) and the South China Sea, two areas that have seen escalating disputes recently, there is a “huge” difference between the policies of the DPP and Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT), DPP Chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said in an interview on Thursday.
“Washington assumed that President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) would promote stable cross-strait relations — until the Diaoyutai dispute took place, when the US realized there has been a great shift in the balance of cross-strait relations,” Su told the Taipei Times.
The DPP claimed sovereignty over the islands during its eight years in power, Su said, but this did not lead to conflict with Japan.
“Fifteen rounds of fisheries talks were held during that time, while only one’s been held during Ma’s five years in office,” Su said.
Ma’s handling of the dispute has dragged China into the equation, as well the US, a stakeholder in the US-Japan Security Treaty, Su said, adding that Beijing could not assert its sovereignty over the Diaoyutais without going through Taiwan.
“His collaboration with China on the issue has also created tensions and unrest. The DPP is very clear on the issue with its four-point statement, including its pledge not to collaborate with China,” he said. “The DPP has always called for resolving the dispute through peaceful negotiations, while Ma sent coast guard vessels [in September] to fire water cannons at Japanese boats [near the Diaoyutais].”
Su said Ma’s handling of Taiwan’s claims in the South China Sea also created unnecessary tensions with neighbors.
“Taiwan has had troops stationed on Itu Aba (Taiping Island, 太平島) for decades and claims sovereignty over the region, but it also respects the South China Sea code of conduct, which emphasizes negotiations rather than provocation,” he said, adding that Ma also approved a live-fire drill on Taiping last year.
“This pleased only China and raised tensions with other claimants. The DPP never backed off from its claims, but it did not provoke conflict either,” Su said.
Turning to sovereignty, Su said: “Taiwanese are unhappy with the way Ma has handled sovereignty issues.”
“He did not say a word about China’s inclusion of Taiwan as part of its territory in the new Chinese passports, but blasted the DPP three hours after the DPP issued passport stickers with the inscription ‘Taiwan is my country’ as a countermeasure to Beijing’s provocative move,” he said.
Su also accused Ma of dragging his feet on trade liberalization and efforts to join regional blocs, such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), which Ma said Taiwan could join in eight years, and a possible attempt to accede to ASEAN’s Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership for East Asia.
“The DPP supports free trade, period,” Su said, when asked to address protectionism.
“Taiwan should join the TPP as soon as possible, but we have to be ready to deal with the inevitable impact on domestic industries, and that’s what Ma has failed to do. All he has done is talk — there have been no substantial preparations,” He said. “It makes no sense for Ma to talk about joining the TPP in eight years because he will no longer be in office by then. He could have told people what he planned to do in four years.”
‘LONE WOLF’: The suspect was difficult to locate, as he did not use a cellphone, did not contact family and often lived in abandoned sites or parks, police said Taipei police on Thursday morning arrested a man accused of numerous burglaries and at least 14 incidents of sexual assault spanning more than 20 years, in what might be the nation’s most notorious crime spree in recent years. Sixty-year-old Tu Ming-lang (涂明朗) — who was yesterday placed in judicial detention, after a judge determined he was a flight risk without a fixed address — faces multiple charges of sexual assault and burglary, police said. A task force comprised of various law enforcement agencies arrested Tu as part of an investigation into an April 28 burglary in Daan District (大安), in which a
The majority of parents surveyed in northern Taiwan favor the suspension of all on-site classes at schools from the junior-high level and below amid a surge in domestic COVID-19 infections, parent groups said yesterday. About 84.4 percent of respondents in a survey of 2,912 parents in northern Taiwan, where the outbreak is the most serious, said they supported suspending classes, the Action Alliance on Basic Education, the Taiwan Parents Protect Women and Children Association, and the Taiwan Love Children Association said. The groups distributed questionnaires to parents in New Taipei City, Taipei, Keelung, Taoyuan and Hsinchu city and county from Saturday morning
ASEAN BATTLEGROUND: Japan and Australia could be drawn into Pacific tensions as China sets its sights on the Diaoyutai Islands and further beyond the first island chain Tensions between China and the US in the Indo-Pacific region are expected to intensify, the National Security Bureau and Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, recommending that Taiwan continue to emphasize its shared values and interests to encourage resistance to Chinese aggression. US commitments in the Indo-Pacific region are expected to continue unabated despite the war in Ukraine, as Beijing takes advantage of the conflict to expand its influence in the region, the agencies said in reports delivered to the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee on Sunday, ahead of a hearing yesterday on regional developments and trends. Although Russia’s invasion of
ONLINE REPORT: Confirmed cases filling out the online contact tracing report can check a box to indicate that a close contact had received a booster dose, an official said The guidelines for diagnosing COVID-19 have been revised to include people aged 65 or older who test positive with a rapid test that is confirmed by a healthcare worker, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported 65,794 new local infections. The CECC had first announced the change on Monday, before publishing the new guidelines. Starting today, people aged 65 or older, regardless of whether they are undergoing home quarantine, home isolation or self-disease prevention, can be classified as a confirmed COVID-19 case by a healthcare professional, based on a positive result from an antigen rapid test, said