The Homemakers United Foundation held a demonstration at the Department of Health (DOH) yesterday, criticizing its safety standards for radiation contaminated food and saying that it puts the public at risk of consuming food without knowing about its potential dangers.
In light of fears about radiation contamination following last year’s disaster at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant, the foundation said that while Taiwan is the second-largest importer of Japanese food products, and Japanese food products account for the largest share in Taiwan’s imported food import market, the government plans to loosen regulations on radioactive isotopes in food.
Presenting thousands of petition postcards it has collected from the public since October, the foundation asked the government not to relax standards and criticized the DOH for not making information about radiation-contaminated food public.
The foundation said that according to a DOH report on residual radiation in imported Japanese food products, more than 125 items showed levels of Cesium-134, Cesium-137 or Iodine-131. However, the products were still allowed to be sold and consumers are unaware of which products contain these harmful substances, the foundation said.
Foundation president Chen Man-li (陳曼麗) said the DOH’s advisory committee lacked expertise on radioactive pollution and food safety. The DOH had also failed to explain what risk evaluation or research results its decision to amend the regulations were based on, she added.
National Alliance of Taiwan Women’s Associations chairperson Chen Hsiu-hui (陳秀惠) said since such information is not available to consumers, many women are worried about buying food for their families.
The foundation, along with representatives from a number of civic groups, urged the DOH to make public a health risk evaluation report on the safety of radiation contamination food, disclose the methods by which its safety standards are reached and hold explanatory sessions, as well as publishing an imported food radiation inspection report on a daily basis.
In response, the DOH’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said that although an amended Standard of Safety Tolerance of Nuclear Fallout or Radioactivity Contamination for Food (食品中原子塵或放射能污染安全容許量標準) was announced on June 29, it was later postponed after civic groups expressed opposition. Safety standards therefore remain unchanged and await re-evaluation, it said.
The FDA added that all food product imports from Japan’s Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma and Chiba prefectures are still suspended and eight types of food from Japan — including fresh fruit and vegetables, dairy produce and infant food — are still subject to lot by lot inspection.
Additional reporting by Staff writer
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: