The Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) yesterday announced enhanced measures to monitor levels of pollutants discharged into sewage systems by companies and industries located in science parks by adding ammoniacal hydrogen and dioxins to its list of regulated chemicals.
High concentrations of ammoniacal hydrogen can lead to a deterioration of water quality, making it toxic to some aquatic organisms, said Hsu Yung-hsing (許永興), director of the EPA’s Department of Water Quality.
According to the EPA, surveys showed that ammoniacal hydrogen content in wastewater discharged from photoelectric industries and companies in science parks accounts for about 34 percent of the total discharge.
The EPA is therefore introducing in two phases restrictions on ammoniacal hydrogen in wastewater for existing photoelectric materials and electronic components companies. The limit is 75mg per liter for the first phase, which goes into effect on July 1; this drops to 30mg per liter for the second phase, effective Jan. 1, 2017.
As for newly established companies, the maximum limit for ammoniacal hydrogen in wastewater will be 20mg per liter it said.
Meanwhile, maximum limits for dioxins in wastewater are set to be 5pg I-TEQ per liter for new companies and 10pg I-TEQ per liter for existing companies, it said.
The EPA cited surveys from European countries showing that dioxin concentrations in water account for only about 0.25 percent of total dioxins discharged in the environment each year. It said that surveys in Taiwan also showed that after proper treatment, dioxin discharge by local industries was much lower than US and Japanese standards of 10pg I-TEQ per liter.
The EPA advised pulp and paper operators to use chlorine-free bleaching and stabilize control over sewage treatment facilities to reduce the amount of dioxin discharge.
Additional reporting by CNA
Considering that most countries issue more than five denominations of banknotes, the central bank has decided to redesign all five denominations, the bank said as it prepares for the first major overhaul of the banknotes in more than 24 years. Central bank Governor Yang Chin-lung (楊金龍) is expected to report to the Legislative Yuan today on the bank’s operations and the redesign’s progress. The bank in a report sent to the legislature ahead of today’s meeting said it had commissioned a survey on the public’s preferences. Survey results showed that NT$100 and NT$1,000 banknotes are the most commonly used, while NT$200 and NT$2,000
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the first case of a new COVID-19 subvariant — BA.3.2 — in a 10-year-old Singaporean girl who had a fever upon arrival in Taiwan and tested positive for the disease. The girl left Taiwan on March 20 and the case did not have a direct impact on the local community, it said. The WHO added the BA.3.2 strain to its list of Variants Under Monitoring in December last year, but this was the first imported case of the COVID-19 variant in Taiwan, CDC Deputy Director-General Lin Ming-cheng (林明誠) said. The girl arrived in Taiwan on
ANNUAL EVENT: Two massive Pokemon balloons are to be set up in Daan Park, with an event zone operating from 10am to 6pm This year’s Taipei Floral Picnic is to be held at Daan Park today and tomorrow, featuring an exclusive Pokemon Go event, a themed food market, a coffee rave picnic area and stage performances, the Taipei Department of Information and Tourism said yesterday. Two massive Pokemon balloons are to be set up in the park as attractions, with an exclusive event zone operating from 10am to 6pm, it said. Participants who complete designated tasks on-site would have a chance to receive limited-edition souvenirs, it added. People could also try the newly launched game Pokemon Pokopia in the trial area, the department said. Three PokeStops are
South Korea is planning to revise its controversial electronic arrival card, a step Taiwanese officials said prompted them to hold off on planned retaliatory measures, a South Korean media report said yesterday. A Yonhap News Agency report said that the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs is planning to remove the “previous departure place” and “next destination” fields from its e-arrival card system. The plan, reached after interagency consultations, is under review and aims to simplify entry procedures and align the electronic form with the paper version, a South Korean ministry official said. The fields — which appeared only on the electronic form