If all the nation’s nuclear power plants were immediately taken offline, power rationing might have to be implemented, Taiwan Power Co (Taipower) said late on Sunday in response to demands by protesters that all nuclear plants should suspend operations.
“Using the data from last year as an example, the actual [electricity] reserve capacity rate was 20.6 percent. If the electricity generated by the nation’s three nuclear power plants were eliminated, the reserve capacity rate would drop to 6 percent,” Taipower said.
Provisional power dispatches, mechanical failures or regular maintenance procedures could force restrictions to be implemented on electricity consumption, it said, adding that the nation has an independent electricity supply system and it could not purchase electricity from other countries if it faced a power shortage.
On questions about the safety of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant, which is under construction in New Taipei City’s (新北市) Gongliao District (貢寮), Taipower said it would ensure the plant’s safety before commencing operations.
Taipower said it would invite operators from the World Association of Nuclear Operators, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, as well as oversea and local specialists to evaluate the plant during the operational test period.
Taiwan lacks power resources and relies on imports for 99 percent of its energy resources, the company said. The generation of electricity must therefore take resources, the environment and economic development into consideration, it added.
In addition, Taipower said all low-level radioactive waste dumped on Lanyu (蘭嶼), also known as Orchid Island, would be removed as soon as the construction of a final disposal site is completed.
An examination of the storage site on Lanyu was completed in November last year, and although a slight leak was found, the radiation level was lower than the regulated standard and would not cause harm to human health or the environment, the company said.
Taipower said it would continue to improve its environmental management at the storage site to avoid any more radioactive leaks.
However, several environmental protection non-governmental organizations were not convinced by Taipower’s response and said they plan to hold a press conference today at the legislature to elucidate their concerns.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not