As the anniversary of the March 11 magnitude 9.0 earthquake and tsunami that devastated parts of northeastern Japan approaches, some local netizens have organized a campaign on Facebook supporting the residents of Arahama community in Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture, an area badly hit by the double disaster.
On the page titled “Imploring the Japanese Government to Make Good Use of Taiwanese People’s Love,” the netizens have called on officials to respect the desire of Arahama residents to rebuild their homes in the place many of them have lived for generations.
The Internet campaign came in answer to a call from survivors for help after the Japanese government designated the area around Arahama a “disaster hazard zone” in December last year and ordered all inhabitants to be relocated.
Japanese architect and academic Yasuhiro Ento, who is currently visiting Taiwan, urged Taiwanese, who are no strangers to natural disasters and reconstruction work, to support a campaign by Arahama residents to garner public support for the reconstruction of their community.
Ento, the chief convener of a “yellow handkerchief” campaign for local residents, called for people to write words of support on yellow handkerchiefs and banners, which Japanese earthquake victims regard as symbols of hope, expressing their support for Arahama residents.
Hsia Chu-joe (夏鑄九), a professor at National Taiwan University’s Graduate School of Building and Planning, said Taiwanese donated more than NT$4 billion (US$135 million) last year for Japanese earthquake relief work. It made no sense for Taiwanese to make such generous donations while the Japanese government treated victims so arbitrarily, he said.
“Reconstruction requires the participation of survivors,” he added.
About 170 of the 700 residents of Arahama died in the disaster. Last year, the Japanese government designated the coastal area a “disaster hazard zone” and ordered all residents relocated.
Liao Chia-chan (廖嘉展), chairman of Nantou-based New Homeland Foundation, who has visited the disaster-hit areas of northeastern Japan in person, said that Japan could learn from the experience of Taiwan. For example, the government had relocated disaster-prone villages following the devastation of the magnitude 7.6 921 Earthquake in 1999, and massive flooding and landslides caused by Typhoon Morakot on Aug. 8, 2009.
Liao said that if the people of Arahama were forced to leave the area, where many made a living fishing, they would find it even harder to survive.
One netizen, identified only as Hsu (許), cited examples of Taiwanese forced to relocate after their homes were destroyed, saying that although the relocation provided them with safer places to live, their lives had been “torn from their original culture.” As a result, the devastation wrought by the typhoon had been magnified, he said.
Hsu called on Taiwanese who made donations to the Japanese earthquake victims last year to take a greater interest in whether the victims were being properly looked after.
An exhibition of works by Japanese photographer Junichi Takahashi, which features profiles of people who lost homes, property and family members during the earthquake and tsunami, is currently being held in Taipei.
Takahashi founded “Backup Center Japan” after the earthquake to deliver aid to affected areas. He has since documented the lives of the quake victims through his photography and presented -survivors with albums of photographs as gifts in an effort to help heal their broken hearts.
Behind every photo is a heart-touching story like the one of Chieko Yamane, whose home — which was rebuilt by her parents after a tsunami more than 40 years ago — was badly damaged by the largest earthquake and tsunami ever recorded in Japan.
After deciding to raze the house in which she lived for more than four decades, Yamane wrote on a wall: “Home full of memories. Thank you. Good-bye.”
Despite her sadness at bidding farewell to the old house, she still smiled while telling the photographer that her “love of the sea” had not changed a bit, despite the tsunami that destroyed her home.
See JAPAN’S on Page 9
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not