President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) was confronted by a surprise protest yesterday by supporters of the former Losheng (Happy Life) Sanatorium, who say the government has continued to ignore geological instability issues at an MRT station and maintenance depot in Sinjhuang District (新莊), New Taipei City (新北市), on the site that formerly housed the sanatorium.
“Landslides are happening at Losheng, protect the potential World Heritage site,” Losheng conservationists shouted through loudspeakers while hanging giant banners with the slogan from the third-floor windows of a building at Shih Hsin University.
Ma, along with the two other presidential candidates — Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and People First Party Chairman James Soong (宋楚瑜) — were invited to talk about their cultural policies to musicians, filmmakers and artists at the university.
Photo : SEAN CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
Ma did not react to the surprise protest and he walked straight into the building, where he then encountered a second surprise protest.
Right after answering a question about the controversies surrounding the conservation of Losheng Sanatorium raised by National Chengchi University’s Department of Radio and Television associate professor Kuo Li-shin (郭力昕), a member of the Youth Alliance for Losheng, Ho Hsin-chieh (何欣潔) stood up in the audience, held up a newspaper ad and explained in detail the landslide crisis affecting the remaining part of the sanatorium and a new MRT building on the site.
“Landslides are happening at Losheng, please call a cross-Cabinet meeting to resolve the issue,” Ho urged the president repeatedly.
“Give me all the information you have, I’ll take a look,” Ma said in response.
“Will you ask the Executive Yuan to call a cross-Cabinet meeting on it?” Ho asked.
“I’ll take a look and decide if the Executive Yuan should hold a meeting, if it’s necessary,” Ma said.
Following the conversation, Ho was removed by security officials.
Liao Chia-hung (廖家弘), another Losheng conservationist, told reporters outside the venue that they protested in front of the president because otherwise the government ignores them.
“We want to make sure that president hears what we have to say,” Liao said.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,