Former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Tainan County speaker Wu Chien-pao (吳健保), who was found guilty in a sand-stealing case last week, was barred from leaving the country as he is set to begin serving a three-and-a-half year prison sentence.
Prosecutors have announced that Wu must report to authorities on Thursday to start serving his term.
Wu, who was removed from his post after the final verdict was delivered on Wednesday, told reporters at his office yesterday he would file an appeal and asked prosecutors to give him more time because he needed to arrange “some matters,” before he went to jail.
Wu said he no intention of leaving the country.
Prosecutors said they dispatched police officers to monitor Wu from outside his residence and office, and track his movements when he leaves his home or office.
More than 20 Greater Tainan councilors visited Wu’s office on Friday afternoon to express their support. They said Wu had not been given enough time between sentcing and the start of his jail term.
On Monday, the Taiwan High Court’s Greater Tainan branch found Wu guilty in a sand stealing case and sentenced him to three-and-a-half years in jail.
Wu and former city councilor Lee Chuan-fu (李全富) were charged with the illegal removal of sand from the Tsengwen River (曾文溪) after using questionable methods to win a contract to dredge the river in 2004. Wu and 25 others were indicted in August 2004 on charges of bribing officials, breaking government procurement laws and colluding to steal public assets.
In 1998, Wu represented the KMT in a bid for Tainan County councilor, and between 2002 and last year he was the speaker of what was then Tainan County.
In 2008, Wu represented his party in a bid for a legislative seat from then-Tainan County, during which President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) praised Wu’s political performance.
Wu was removed from the KMT in February last year after he was indicted on charges of fraud and bribing professional baseball players to manipulate the outcome of games.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not