The Taipei City Government will keep all of the Taipei International Flora Expo’s 14 pavilions as venues for art and cultural performances and agricultural exhibitions after the six-month event ends this month.
The expo, which opened on Nov. 6 and runs through April 26, is comprised of 14 pavilions in three areas of Datong District (大同). It is the second major international event hosted by Hau’s municipal administration, following the Deaflympics in 2009.
Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) yesterday promised not to let the 14 pavilions go to waste after the event. The 14 pavilions, including the popular Pavilion of Dreams, Pavilion of Future and Expo Dome, will remain as venues for performances and flora displays for at least six months after the event.
The two popular pavilions in the expo’s Xinsheng Park area — Pavilion of Dreams and Pavilion of Future — will remain open to the public after the expo, and visitors will be able to purchase tickets to watch exhibitions, Hau said.
The Expo Theater and Expo Dome will continue to serve as venues for performances and exhibitions. The mayor said various performance groups have already scheduled shows and exhibitions at the venues.
With the expo expected to welcome its 7 millionth visitor this weekend, Hau thanked the public for their support and called on those who haven’t used their tickets to visit the expo as soon as possible because the city government would not extend its duration.
According to the expo’s Operational Headquarters, about 2.1 million tickets have not been used.
Hau also said he was proud that 10 Asian media outlets had awarded the expo a prize for being one of the most influential international events last year.
Both the expo and the Shanghai World Expo won recognition from the 10 media outlets led by Phoenix TV Station. The “You Bring Charm to the World” awards ceremony will be held in Beijing on Saturday.
Hau described the award as global recognition, adding that the successful experience would help the city government host more international events.