Animal rights activists yesterday urged the government to ban the purchase and sale of animal traps, as many pets as well as children have fallen victim to them.
Showing a picture of a black dog surrounded by seven newborn puppies, Juan Mei-ling (阮美玲), executive director of Life Caring and Animal Rescue Organization, said the dog lost part of its front paw after being caught in a trap in Sindian District (新店), New Taipei City (新北市), last month.
“The dog was pregnant when it was found, so the veterinarian could not operate on her,” Juan told a news conference in Taipei. “When we could finally do the operation after the puppies were born, the wound has become so bad we could only cut off the palm.”
PHOTO: CNA
Juan said that the Sindian case was not an isolated one.
Each year, hundreds of pets, as well as stray dogs and cats, are injured by animal traps across the country, she said, adding that children had sometimes become victims, too.
“Our rescue team has saved many cats and dogs wounded by animal traps — but sometimes these wounded animals away out of fear and pain, and we don’t always find them,” Juan said, while urging the government to ban sale of animal traps to prevent further injuries.
Supporting Juan’s call, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Tien Chiu-chin (田秋堇) cited the case of an Austrian girl who almost broke her arm when she accidentally touched an animal trap.
“That led to a complete ban of animal traps in that country,” she said.
“The government should not wait until a tragedy like that happens in Taiwan before banning animal traps,” she said.
Lin Tsung-yi (林宗毅), a Council of Agriculture official who attended the news conference, said that under current laws, “the use of animal traps is restricted, but sales are allowed.”
“If we are to prohibit sales [of animal traps], we have to talk to the Ministry of Economic Affairs about revising the law,” Lin said. “But before doing so, we’ve asked stores selling animal traps to instruct buyers about the rules on using animal traps. Right now, misuse [of animal traps] is subject to a fine of NT$15,000 to NT$70,000.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a