Taiwan and China are scheduled to meet in Hong Kong at the end of this month to discuss issues related to free and independent travelers (FIT) from China, the Tourism Bureau announced last week.
Under current regulations, Chinese tourists can only visit Taiwan through a pre-arranged tour group and their freedom to travel independently faces stringent restrictions.
Tourism Bureau Deputy Director General Wayne Liu (劉喜臨) said whether the FIT policy would soon apply to Chinese -tourists depended on the outcome of the meeting, which will involve the Taiwan Strait Tourism Association (TSTA) and the Cross-Strait Tourism Exchange Association (CTEA), representing Taiwan and China respectively.
The two quasi-official bodies are charged with negotiating technical issues involved in cross-strait tourism.
Among others, TSTA secretary-general Chang Shi-chung (張錫聰) is expected to meet CTEA secretary-general Man Hongwei (滿宏衛), Liu said.
The two originally agreed to meet last month, but the meeting was postponed as a result of Typhoon Megi.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications proposed last month to execute the FIT policy for Chinese tourists in three stages. In the first stage, the employees of 500 large corporations in China would be permitted to visit Taiwan as FITs and be given multiple-entry permits. The government would not cap the number of Chinese tourists in this category, provided that the company vouches for them.
In the second stage, the FIT policy would be extended to regular tourists, whose number would be capped at between 300 and 500 visitors per day. However, those individuals would have to be from “first-tier” cities such as Shanghai, Beijing, Tianjin and Chongqing.
In the final phase, Chinese tourists would be allowed to travel as FITs to the outlying islands of Kinmen, Matsu and Penghu, though different regulations would apply.
Aside from the FIT policy for Chinese tourists, Chang and Man will review issues that surfaced in the handling of Chinese casualties from the Suhua Highway incident last month.
Landslides on the highway caused by torrential rain brought by Megi killed 20 Chinese tourists, two Taiwanese drivers and one Taiwanese tour guide.
Meanwhile, Liu said the number of foreign tourists to Taiwan could surpass 5.3 million this year, adding that the number could hit 6 million next year.
Statistics from the Tourism Bureau showed that about 4.5 million people visited Taiwan between January and last month, a 27 percent increase from the same period last year.
The top three source nations for tourists were Malaysia, China and South Korea.
921 EARTHQUAKE: The magnitude 7.3 quake left 2,456 people dead and 10,718 injured, while 53,661 houses were fully destroyed and 53,024 houses damaged The Central Weather Bureau yesterday received about 50,000 views on Facebook after it posted the data that it collected on Sept. 21, 1999, when the nation was devastated by a magnitude 7.3 earthquake. The data showed that the 921 Earthquake hit the nation at 1:47am, with the epicenter being 7km southwest of the bureau’s quake detection center in Nantou County’s Yuchi Township (魚池) at a depth of 8km. The quake left 2,456 people dead and 10,718 injured, while 53,661 houses were fully destroyed and 53,024 houses damaged, with the cost of the damage estimated at NT$300 billion (US$10.8 billion at the current
British newspaper The Mail on Sunday reported that Prince Charles met with Bruno Wang (汪家興), a Taiwanese fugitive who describes himself as a Chinese philanthropist and donated ￡500,000 (US$683,522) to the prince’s charity, the Prince’s Foundation. The newspaper reported that Wang is wanted in Taiwan on charges related to money laundering and being a fugitive from justice, allegations he denies, and drew comparisons between Wang and the Russian banker Dmitry Leus. Investigation and cooperation with foreign authorities have found that Bruno Wang’s father, Andrew Wang (汪傳浦), had stashed proceeds from a scandal involving the procurement of Lafayette frigates in 61 bank accounts,
AT ODDS: The KMT called on the government to seek bilateral dialogue with Beijing to resolve the issue that led to the ban on custard apple and wax apple imports Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) officials and lawmakers yesterday condemned China’s sudden ban on imports of custard apples and wax apples from Taiwan as “obvious political retaliation,” while the opposition called for a scientific investigation into Beijing’s claim to have found pests in imports of the fruits. China earlier yesterday announced a ban on the importation of the two fruits from today, citing repeated discoveries of Planococcus minor, a type of mealybug. The announcement follows a similar ban on Taiwanese pineapples imposed in February. At least Beijing gave a few days’ notice when it banned pineapple imports, an unnamed government official said yesterday. This time
BY OTHER MEANS: China could see CPTPP membership as a means of circumventing trade restrictions imposed by the US, amid an ongoing trade dispute between them The US could invoke a clause in its trade agreement with Canada and Mexico to block China’s application to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), a government official said yesterday. Under Article 32.10 of the Exceptions and General Provisions of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), if either Canada or Mexico enter a free-trade agreement with a nonmarket economy — such as China — the US could withdraw from the agreement. “If that clause applies to multilateral free-trade agreements such as the CPTPP — which Mexico and Canada are members of — that might be cause for the two